Tinny sound from front of crank area

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
I have a tinny sound coming from the front of my engine.

I tried to isolate it by removing drive belts to eliminate the P/S and Alt...still there!

So I pulled the timing cover off thinking I had a brainfart and put the slinger on backwards....nope! Should I be using the felt ring that comes in the gasket kits ?

Could the crank be hitting the windage tray?

This is a fresh motor .

Any ideas ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 282
tinny is ususally something like that. Sometimes the dipstick hits, sometimes the tray will move when the pan is bolted down... Also check your flex pate bolts and make sure one's not loose and backing out or hitting one of the galley plugs or something.

Should I be using the felt ring that comes in the gasket kits ?

The felt ring I believe goes on after the timing chain cover and BEFORE the DAMPER.

Are you sure that it's coming from the front? Noise can "ricochet" and appear to be coming from somewhere, when it isn't. :banghead:

could you have a flex plate bolt loose?

If you have a non-stroker (stock crank) engine, I doubt the crank is hitting the windage tray.

How's the end play on the crank?

Or get a kick-*** stereo and ignore the noise.... LOL!

Checked the dust cover on trany...thought it may be vibrating. But the sound seems to come from the front of the engine. Although sounds can travel and be sneaky.....

My buddy got his 340 six-pack Road Runner fired up for the first time and heard a similar noise and thought he had spun a bearing and it turned out that -yup it was the windage tray vs. reciprocating engine parts. A little tweak and he was good to go.

My buddy got his 340 six-pack Road Runner fired up for the first time and heard a similar noise and thought he had spun a bearing and it turned out that -yup it was the windage tray vs. reciprocating engine parts. A little tweak and he was good to go.

That is not what I wanted to hear...lol my pan and timing cover are leak free (were)... Besides it is pain in the arse to pull.

Do I dare start it briefly ? Would put dampner back on minus slinger.....

Good news is that my valvetrain was super smooth sounding when I stuck my stethescope in valve cover !

Slinger seems to be pretty loose on crank. Might just be rattling around.. Will get new one. Or do I really even need to run one?

I dont recall how the fit should be.

Slinger seems to be pretty loose on crank. Might just be rattling around.. Will get new one. Or do I really even need to run one?

I dont recall how the fit should be.

Run the slinger. It helps keep the timing chain oiled.

It fits loosely, that's the way that they all are.

Started it without tchain cover or slinger.... NO NOISE ! A lot of work for a tin wheel !

Funny thing, I put some chrome pulleys on today and heard a tinny noise. When I took the old lower pulley off, two of the bolts were only a 1/2" long. I figured I better put stock bolts back on. Well it has an after market vibration dampener, and when I put the longer bolts in l pushed the dampener weight back ( didn't know it was there ) and it was rubbing on the cover.

fuel pump or too long of bolts somewhere... if balancer didn't seat slinger could be loose..

If the noise come back after the time cover and water pump are installed, add a washer to each of the bottom bolts of the Water pump.

I didn't see any marking on you timing chain but if the bolt is too long, it could be rubbing slightly.

When I put a double row timing chain on my 76 W100 I had a ticking noise. It was the fuel pump arm hitting the chain, just a little. I bent the fuel pump arm in with a C clamp just a little where it was hitting and no more noise.

Ringing noise went away after removing the slinger.

Now I have sharp knock that I can feel when i put my hand on carb at idle. Not very loud and hard to hear off idle. My cocern is that my crank is starting to walk or I screwed up while cam degreeing. Knock seems to be slower than even cam rotation though ?

I will look at piston and lower end for clearance issues with borescope tomorrow.

-
Back