TIPS . A T Shirt logo.....

-

Small Block

Reaction score
......i would like to wear in some resturants. I thought of a logo to go on one.
"I'm the biggest tipper in here, earn it". Maybe even a sign to set up in the middle of the table saying just that. Tips are earned and some dont have a clue on how to earn a tip.
Small Block

Wait staff should know that tips are earned, they shouldn't assume they deserve a tip.

Even if the service I receive is terrible I always leave a tip.
For really bad service I leave a dime and a cigarette just so they don't think I totally dissed them, and to bring the message home. The dime is so they can go call their mother, the cig. for their next break.
I know you can't make a call for a dime anymore but drives the point home even further.

Even for a bad tip i leave a dollar for each person. I will leave a good tip when it's earned. Some dont have a clue how much they could have had. I'm not even a waiter but i could earn a good living on tips if i had to take up the trade. Ever heard of being friendly and efficient? I had one of those this morning that didn't have a clue.
Small Block

FWIW: The definition of a tip is To Insure Promptness. Therefore, the "TIP" should be presented BEFORE being served.

In other words, you slip the server cash before they spit in your food...
:-D

Even if the service is bad, you should tip. When you sit at their table, you are hiring them to work for you. If you let them work, you should pay them. Period. If they are not doing the job you want, speak to them politely of your expectations. Unless a waiter intentionally does me wrong, I will tip. You never know if they were up all night with a young child, had to walk to work, or this is their second job to make ends meet.

I am a career waiter, I realize there are people who don't feel it is a respectable job, but I figure somebody's got to do it, why not me? The hours suit me and it is a challenging job yet I don't take it home with me. It makes me feel good when I see people spend time together and enjoy themselves and know I am helping them to have a good time.

I think because people see my grey hair, they are pretty sure I know what I'm doing. You'd better believe I do everything in my power to earn a good tip...I'm there to make as much money as I can. I guess some waiters/waitresses don't understand the concept---you have got to be as friendly and attentive as possible.

Personally, I would prefer someone to hand me a small card saying simply 'I tip well for excellent service.' If someone said 'I'm the best tipper in the place, earn it!!' that would sound kind of obnoxious and a little hostile, or maybe demeaning.

Even if the service is bad, you should tip. When you sit at their table, you are hiring them to work for you. If you let them work, you should pay them. Period. If they are not doing the job you want, speak to them politely of your expectations. Unless a waiter intentionally does me wrong, I will tip. You never know if they were up all night with a young child, had to walk to work, or this is their second job to make ends meet.

I once dated a waitress who ran her *** off earning tips who would disagree with this statement. The point gets across better, she said, with no tip. If you leave a tip during bad service, then you're rewarding bad service and the waiter or waitress is thinking that's good service and taking that attitude to the next customer. Those are her words, not mine.

I once stated what you did about "hiring" for a job. Her words, again, were that you're hiring for job performance, not the job specifically. Most restaurants pay hourly; not much, mind you, but some. The employer is paying for the job, you're paying for the service.

I will agree with you about speaking to the wait staff. I usually tell 'em what I expect up front. If I see the bottom of my coffee cup, all bets are off...:-D

I am a career waiter, I realize there are people who don't feel it is a respectable job, but I figure somebody's got to do it, why not me? The hours suit me and it is a challenging job yet I don't take it home with me. It makes me feel good when I see people spend time together and enjoy themselves and know I am helping them to have a good time.

My hats off to you!

That's not something I could do, I can tell you that.

Sounds like you may take the role as a "Professional" there 65. That's the way it should be. If ya dont want to be on that job, Go home. Some look to be filling those shoes when they show up at the table i'm setting at. When you wait your tables, can you tell whos a good tipper and who isnt? I'm the type that WILL go after the carrot. Hang that babby out there and i'll get it. That's my point 65. I guess you could say im not real good at "Sugar Coating" stuff anymore. Not my job but it does take a professional to do it right.
Small Block

I think because people see my grey hair, they are pretty sure I know what I'm doing. You'd better believe I do everything in my power to earn a good tip...I'm there to make as much money as I can. I guess some waiters/waitresses don't understand the concept---you have got to be as friendly and attentive as possible.

Personally, I would prefer someone to hand me a small card saying simply 'I tip well for excellent service.' If someone said 'I'm the best tipper in the place, earn it!!' that would sound kind of obnoxious and a little hostile, or maybe demeaning.

good post, esp the 'I tip well for excellent service' idea, although i would not want to come off as tacky.

10% is my "crappy service" tip, 20% for "doing a reasonable job", and I go to 30% for "superior attitude and service"...they deserve it!

When you wait your tables, can you tell whos a good tipper and who isnt?
Small Block

I try not to pre-judge people because you never really know, I'll get surprised both ways. I do pretty well overall and there will be bad tips at times so I don't let it get to me. The key to the job is to just do your best, and it all averages out.

Generally, if a guy is madly in love with a girl, he tips big, before they get married.

Usually if someone has to 'fight' with others at the table over the check, they tip well.

A guy with a prostitute will tip well.

If someone goes overboard saying 'thank you' a dozen times, I get ready for a mediocre tip.

Certain ethnic groups can be better/worse but again you never really know.

SmallBlock, why not get some cards made up? With your name on one side and 'I tip well for excellent service' on the other. Make sure you tell the server to read it and not just glance at it...sometimes we are preoccupied with all the stuff we have to think about while we are performing our jobs.

Another way to reward good service is to tell the manager that your server did a great job.

Here's a funny for ya. Saturday morning the wife and i went to breakfast and as the girl was taking our plates and cleaning up some of the stuff on the table she ask "Will this be one check or two?", The wife said "One". I ask the wife in the presence of the waitress "Who said i was buying your breakfast?". 65, How many checks would you give to a couple that obviously had wedding bands and rings on? and were madly in love at 58 yrs old? Was that a stupid question for the waitress or am i missing something about the trade? I had to laugh. I gave the gal a $2 tip when had she had her act together i would have done the $10 tip for a $20 meal. She didn't go for the carrot. Probably never taught.
Small Block

I'm usually a generous tipper, but when the waitress or waiter just sucks, take forever with the drinks, have to ask for refills, I won't tip...

......i would like to wear in some resturants. I thought of a logo to go on one.
"I'm the biggest tipper in here, earn it". Maybe even a sign to set up in the middle of the table saying just that. Tips are earned and some dont have a clue on how to earn a tip.
Small Block

I hear THAT! It always amazes me when we get less than stellar service that the wait staff still seems to expect a tip. I NEVER leave nothing, because they might think I forgot. I leave what I think it was worth. I've left a nickle before.

Here's a funny for ya. Saturday morning the wife and i went to breakfast and as the girl was taking our plates and cleaning up some of the stuff on the table she ask "Will this be one check or two?", The wife said "One". I ask the wife in the presence of the waitress "Who said i was buying your breakfast?". 65, How many checks would you give to a couple that obviously had wedding bands and rings on? and were madly in love at 58 yrs old? Was that a stupid question for the waitress or am i missing something about the trade? I had to laugh. I gave the gal a $2 tip when had she had her act together i would have done the $10 tip for a $20 meal. She didn't go for the carrot. Probably never taught.
Small Block

Since you're asking me, yes, it was a 'stupid' question for the waitress to ask. I would know better than to ask that question. But if she otherwise did a good job, I don't think she made such a big mistake that you should only give her a 10% tip. Having to tell her 'it's one check' wasn't like she put you through a big inconvenience. Granted I wasn't there to be able to give you an informed opinion but from what I'm reading, I would have given her a break.

The way you approached this, the girl probably didn't make the connection as to why she only got $2, and she will continue to make the same mistake. Since you are older and wiser, it would be better to smile and explain to her, we are a married couple, 'see our wedding rings?' and tell her nicely that from now on, she can give you one check.

I just dubble the sales tax. It is 8.75% here so it works out well. I never realy ajust from that based on service. I fell sorry for a lot of them having to deal with grummpy old people all day that are never pleased with any thing.

65, you go guy. You sound like the kind of server who would do very well from my wife and I. Of our two fav's in C/U ( KoFusion and Kennedy's ) they have excellent wait staff and I try to put a reasonable tip on the credit card and leave cash also. And like with us, it sure doesn't hurt to make a point of letting the manager know what a good job they did. ( or not as the case may be )

My wife has been a server in a bar for over 20 years. She is, without a doubt, the best server in existance. (No offense, 65).

Before we moved here to the Island, she worked in one of the busiest bars in the Lower Mainland. There were 4-6 girls on the floor during a day shift. She could easily sell nearly $2000 in food and drinks during a 6.5 hr shift. She'd regularly bring home about $200 a day in tips. More if she had to work night shift.

There would be girls that would beg off of certain tables, because "They don't tip". Barb wouldn't have a problem, she knows how to work people. Most of the other girls didn't like serving tables of women, not Barb, she'd have them laughing in no time. Same with old people, ya just have to have fun with them.

Even now, in the small bar that she works alone, she gets great tips. Especially in a small bar, she has your drink on the table before you're even settled in. And she knows how to upsell. Someone comes in for a coffee, "Would you like a shot of Bailey's in it?", usually they do and thank her for it. It makes for better sales, and happy customers.

And that's what it's all about. Happy customers.

So, yes, I tip well, as I've been taught to. But I do make a point of letting a server know when they are below standards.

I'll leave a dollar regardless and if they do a good job they'll get three dollars or more. If they let me run out of something to drink they get the dollar and more than likely "the look". They can just about do anything they want just don't let me run out of something to drink. lol

My boss will buy us lunch on Fridays so I'll usually throw a five on the table since I don't have to pay for my food to help the boss out a little if you get what I mean. Others will throw in also and there is a good amount of money there when we leave.

Mark, your wife and 65 are professionals. You've got to admit. There are duds in every trade and being a waitress is no different. I walk up to the counter at Micky D's and i have to tell the goofball at the register "Yes you can" while they're standing there with their teeth hanging out in stead of greeting me and asking if they may help me. I guess i need to start a waitress school. Had a good one at Hooters saturday night though and she was rewarded adequately. No need to stick up for those that wont do their job or dont know how or dont care. Believe me there are the same types in my trade that do the same half assed job. I fired one last friday come to think of it. Try if you may but you wont sell me on a sorry waitress.
Small Block

I gotta share this one.

Went down to Bay St Louis Mississippi right after katrina hit to go do mud-outs, which is basically a crew of 13 guys go into a home and strip it to either the 4 foot level or to the rafters depending on how much water damage their was including removing all the items from the house, shoveling out the mud, striping the hardwoods, electrical outlets, some wiring and scrubbing and disinfecting the stick frame.
We could knock out a house in 8 hours with the right crew.

Now for the fun part.

We went to the only restauraunt open in town, granted this was a month after the storm passed.
It was an Italian smorgasboard buffet type restaurant with just about every italian and chicken, beef dish you could think of, literally amazing food.
We had a waitrees who was about 17 y/o, she was the only worker in the place that seemed to be smiling and happy.
She was so nice to us, 16 people in all and kept getting us drinks and anything we needed, literally busting her butt.
She told us how happy she was that we were in her neighborhood helping out the homeowners and said that the house we did yesterday on such and such street was her aunt's house and she bagan to cry tears of joy.
She said her Family was now living with an Uncle up the road because her house got blown down the street, and they lost everything- we passed it on the way to the restaurant.

We were really blown away by her spirit and I decided that we should empty our pockets and give her the tip of a lifetime.
granted we all took a couple hundred bucks each just for emergency money but we did not need it as everything was taken care of for us by our church.
We all gave everything we had and it came to $3400.oo even.

I went and told the manager the story and gave the money to him to give to her after we left., and he agreed and said if anyone deserves it it was her.

So as we were loading up in our vehicles we looked and through the window saw the manager take her aside and hand her and envelope and said something to her,put his hand on her shoulder, and she slid down the wall onto the floor and started crying like a baby.

Yeah, I never saw so many burly, big guys cry all at the same time like I did that day.

One of the best experiences I ever had.

Thanks for sharing that experience Cudaspaz, it puts a different perspective on this thread.

Thanks for sharing that experience Cudaspaz, it puts a different perspective on this thread.

Yeah, those experiences make you appreciate what you have when you see someone who lost it all.
I could tell more mission stories and miracles witnessed but I don't want to sound like a braggard.

I paid my way through 7 years of college bartending and bouncing. Everyone there needs the money, but not everyone realizes you have to work for it. Especially in bars, you always have servers who who want to be in the club, but don't want to work in the club. They eventually find other employment. I found the best way to earn tips is to not think about them. Do everything you can to keep the customer happy whether they are a "good tipper" or not.Sometimes people will surprise you. And pay attention to your job, nothing ticks people off like being 4-deep at the bar waiting for the barback to bring ice.

-
Back