Tips for garage equipment?

-

JozefJ

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a simple question from a newbie to the scene (got a '73 Dart Sport).
I'm trying to set up my garage-equipment.. What are the most essential tools for doing routine checkups and maintainance?
So not the sophisticated repairs, but simple jobs like correcting the timing, checking fluid levels, replacing spark plugs and the sorts.
I already got some basics like a ton of socket wrenches, a torque wrench, screwdrivers, multi-meter.
What would you recommend I add to my collection?

TIA for your responses!

Tach-dwell meter, timing light non dial back, vacuum gauge, universal joint spark plug socket, grease gun.......,

The most important thing a Factory Service Manual for your car. Mymopar has them online or reprints from rock auto. Call it a must have!

I sell calibrated meters timing lights if needed all price ranges.

Last edited:
Tach-dwell meter, timing light non dial back, vacuum gauge, universal joint spark plug socket, grease gun.......,

The most important thing a Factory Service Manual for your car. Mymopar has them online or reprints from rock auto. Call it a must have!

I sell calibrated meters timing lights if needed all price ranges.
Thanks! I already got the Haynes manual and the Detroit Iron workshop manuals.

I just ordered a timing light this week. Any tips on what brands are good for the other tools?

I like older craftsman or sun.

1723812401849.png

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I would carry in the car is a good ECU and ballast resistor, they have to be hard to find there.

After the basics, the best tools I ever bought was a compressor and a GOOD impact wrench (IR231 at the time). These days I hear the cordless impacts are great, but have never tried one. My impact is getting tried and I should either rebuild it or possibly try a new cordless one.

After the basics, the best tools I ever bought was a compressor and a GOOD impact wrench (IR231 at the time). These days I hear the cordless impacts are great, but have never tried one. My impact is getting tried and I should either rebuild it or possibly try a new cordless one.
Get a 20v earthquake cordless impact from harbor freight, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.

For real, I got 2 at the shop and 1 at home. I’m thinking I need more. And those fire blankets I see advertised on tv looks to be a good idea as well.
Yeah, I mean after all, our cars are potential rolling bombs. lol

Yeah, I mean after all, our cars are potential rolling bombs. lol
I thoroughly keep this in mind every time I go to the dragstrip. And this really, really pertains to top fuel/nitrous cars.

I good air chisel is priceless. Not one of those go fast uncontrollable piece of stuff. A hard hitting long stroke barrel. CP zip gun is not cheap. Buy cheap bits though. It will snap the shanks of those high dollar snapon bits in a heartbeat.

Get a fridge full of beverages and a friend. It’s a plus if that friend is an old mopar heard who knows how to fix and do everything on an old mopar… double plus if he has tools to help you do all the stuff as well.

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Yup. Beer fridge.

Retractable air hoses plumbed in a couple locations. One by the shop door for going outside.

Sandblast cabinet.

Heavy steel bench with a large vise for welding and pounding.

Whatever you get now, you will add to it later. My favorite tool is the high speed 3" cutoff tool. With that you will need an air compressor. Buy the largest, most CFM you can afford.

A good-sized toolbox, compressor, hyd. jack, stands, some good cordless impacts and Impact sockets.

A mig welder, hearing protection and plenty of safety glasses scattered around so they aren’t inconvenient to put on when you just have that little thing to grind on the other side of the shop.

-
Back