Tips for removing sleeve off of lower control arm pivot bolt?

-

Trevor B

Reaction score
Getting the bushings out was lots of fun (welded a washer onto the liner and used a BIG press). But is there a trick to get the sleeve off the pivot bolt? That sucker seems pretty tight...

Thanks in advance!

If you just have the sleeve left then split it with a Dremel or other cut off tool.
Just be careful not to cut into the pivot.

What he said.
Put the pivot bolt on top of a vice or other heavy piece of metal and hit the sleeve with a heavy hammer while turning it. The hammer loosens up the sleeve and it will slide off.

And even if you leave a mark on the shaft, it's no big deal....as long as the new sleeve presses on good and tight.

Jeff

Put the pivot bolt on top of a vice or other heavy piece of metal and hit the sleeve with a heavy hammer while turning it. The hammer loosens up the sleeve and it will slide off.
This is the way I have always removed them. Works every time.

Exactly. The sleeve stretches doing this...One of these days I will be doing a video on LCA bushings, but I'm not in a position to take my GTS apart...

Thanks FABO - it worked.
Combination of both, actually: scored the sleeve then banged on it with a hammer. "Slide off" is not exactly how I'd describe it, more like wrestle.

And yes, a lower control arm video would be awesome!

Thanks FABO - it worked.
Combination of both, actually: scored the sleeve then banged on it with a hammer. "Slide off" is not exactly how I'd describe it, more like wrestle.

And yes, a lower control arm video would be awesome!
You just didn't hit hard enough. I have a large vice, I rest the pivot with the threaded end in my hand and the smooth end with the sleeve on top of the closed vice, smack it two or three times across the length of the sleeve, and the old piece falls off!

This is the quickest way. And absolutely fool proof. Slips right off by hand once you hit it along it's length with a large ball peen hammer.

Getting the bushings out was lots of fun (welded a washer onto the liner and used a BIG press). But is there a trick to get the sleeve off the pivot bolt? That sucker seems pretty tight...

Thanks in advance!
Hammer the sleeve against anvil so it stretches loose. Be careful not to hit the shaft.

-
Back