Tips! How to roll rear wheel lip

-
I trimmed the lip on my car.

I did too when we did the mini-tub. I traced the edge of the stainless trim with a scratch awl, and then removed the trim. I took a cut off wheel and trimmed along the scribed line. Finished the edge with a grinder.

If done poorly or incorrectly the baseball bat method can cause the quarter panel to bulge out instead of being straight. This is really obvious on a black car like mine. And you'd better hope there isn't any bondo in those quarters over the wheel wells if you plan on rolling them... :eek:ops:

Nope no bondo there. Body work has been done Curtis is right but final paint hasnt so i thought nows the time to do it.

The baseball bat trick has worked for decades but even heating the original laquer finish it was difficult not to cause a crack in the paint or two. It is very easy to cause an unwanted buldge as well...just take your time and be careful if you go this way - don't rush it!

The biggest problem with roling a lip is you are leaving a tighter cavity for moisture and road salt to hide = quicker lip rust. If you are at a point that you are going to repaint, I would trim off the lip and replace with a nice welded seam. It is less of a hassel if you trim off 4 or 5 inches at a time and weld that seam before you trim off the next section (keeps everything from separating into a unclampable gap).

At a risk of sounding stupid, what is the purpose of rolling the wheel lip like this? Is it for clearance issues, or simply just for looks? I apologize for my ignorance, but I'm still relatively new to all of this. Thanks in advance.

At a risk of sounding stupid, what is the purpose of rolling the wheel lip like this? Is it for clearance issues, or simply just for looks? I apologize for my ignorance, but I'm still relatively new to all of this. Thanks in advance.

It is mostly done to allow you to run a wider tire, it also removes that sharp inner lip that would dig into your tire side wall if you are doing aggressive cornering, etc.

I have done both rolling and cutting of the fender lip in the past. As has already been posted rolling the fender lip doesn't work very good with our Mopars the metal lip in the rear is double thick metal that is spot welding the inner and outer fender lip together. My preferred method is to cut/trim the under side of the fender lip with a cut off wheel. working slowly or with some water to cool the cut and not burn the paint off the outer fender lip. Depending on how much is trimmed you may need to tack weld and or seal that seam again.

Sounds like it would be better to leave the fender lip alone and get the proper sized tire. The smaller tire that fits and the larger tire that rubs won't be that much different in size. tmm

As of now i have about 1/4" between the tire and lip. I wanted to roll or trim a bit back just to have some peace of mind.

So I should roll these before putting them on my 66 Valiant ?
Sorry to jump in on your thread, but I am just know thinking I should.
Thank you for the reminder

Attachments

• March%202012%201966%20parts%20003.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 202
I was planning to roll or trim. It mocking up tires I found that with the low stance I'm going for the upper inner fender well is the limiting factor, not the fender lip. I'm building a shortened diff and fender lips are a non issue.

It may be a different story on the front.

Those 66 fenders have so much flare to them I'm not sure rolling the lips would give you anymore clearance.

Cutting the lip still left a sharp edge and would destroy a set of wrinkle walls with slight a touch. Rolling them would leave a smooth surface. If the tire would make contact it would just scuff the White M&H a little. No one had a cut off wheel back then that I knew. But every boy had a Baseball bat. I didn't do this for looks . I did it for traction. who cared about the quarters back then. I even did my Chargers just incase they would rub when doing doughnuts in the school lot. AMD should give me a commission . I am probanly the reason for many sales.

Oh yeah who drives their old mopar in the snow and salt fitted for Big tires anyway .

That said I will be fixing the lips someone rolled on my duster project.

I think you should cut them big and round and send me the trimmings.

Those 66 fenders have so much flare to them I'm not sure rolling the lips would give you anymore clearance.
Looking and thinking again I believe you are right zhandfull, Thank you

I think you should cut them big and round and send me the trimmings.
:D I better keep them :D Took to long to find a good set of 66 1/4's :D

-
Back