Tips n tricks for exhaust install

-
Dana, no running each side straight back as "normal". Pipes on each side of driveshaft. Prev dual exhaust from 273 was run same way
I misinterpreted your description.

I don't know if it would work but I had a thought of running a duel exhaust like this
PXL_20240629_170221695.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not very creative lol and prefer to run it the way the 273 had it.
Here's pics of tti head pipe. "Looks" OK. I'm off Monday so hope to spend some time on it then and I'll try giving the Summit pipe a couple twists.
Thanks all
I misinterpreted your description.

I don't know if it would work but I had a thought of running a duel exhaust like thisView attachment 1716269369

20240629_212349.jpg

20240629_212334.jpg

Well, decided to send to shop, so i finished up installing headpipes, didnt have to modify anything linkage wise on drivers side. Ordered up Walker 33226 lapjoint bandclamps and installed Summit mufflers directly to headpipes. I'll wire/strap the mufflers to the seat bolts for support and that should be good for 20 minute drive to shop.
Thanks all for help/advice. I'll fire engine up for 1st time in car tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
20240706_210059.jpg
20240706_210105.jpg
20240706_210858.jpg

Awesome Steve. I'll bet you are getting excited. Looking forward to seeing (and hearing) the finished product. :thumbsup:

Thanks Troy, yes I was hoping to have it there yesterday but things never go the way I plan them lol. Drop off tomorrow and work days all week, so no idea when I can pick up. I figured I'd better clamp the mufflers on and resist the urge to fire it up with just the headpipes lol.
Awesome Steve. I'll bet you are getting excited. Looking forward to seeing (and hearing) the finished product. :thumbsup:

I figured I'd better clamp the mufflers on and resist the urge to fire it up with just the headpipes lol
I drove a jeep grand Cherokee (318) with the muffler removed most of the cat was still on the head pipe.

Slow acceleration and steady cruise.

Not too bad, had to open it up just once, that jeep sounded good!

I'm just curious Steve. Why are you running both pipes down the same side?

I'm not Rob, I was mocking the Summit pipes up and it seemed like it wanted to go on an angle. I probably/obviously had things messed up, but I said screw it I'll take it to shop and let them do it. Kinda pick your battle thing. The kit is 2.5", 3.0" would be a total nightmare.
I'm just curious Steve. Why are you running both pipes down the same side?

Thanks Troy, yes I was hoping to have it there yesterday but things never go the way I plan them lol. Drop off tomorrow and work days all week, so no idea when I can pick up. I figured I'd better clamp the mufflers on and resist the urge to fire it up with just the headpipes lol.
Somebody's getting old lol. In the mid/late 70's I put Blackjacks on my 68/318 notch and drove it home 5 miles down US1 in Port Orange Fl open header 10 o'clock at night, pitch black out. My buddy whom helped with the install followed me home, he said there were flames coming out of the headers!

Last edited:
You missed out.I drove my 67 with the open head pipes to the exhaust shop(2 miles) sounded great and got lots of attention. Makes the ultraflos seem like quietflos after the install!

Last edited:
Lol, I'm a little leery with new engine and all, want to be able to hear any issues if there are any.
Sounds great Swinger! :thumbsup:
Somebody's getting old lol. In the mid/late 70's I put Blackjacks on my 68/318 notch and drove it home 5 miles down US1 in Port Orange Fl open header 10 o'clock at night, pitch black out. My buddy whom helped with the install followed me home, he said there were flames coming out of the headers!

You missed out.I drove my 67 with the open head pipes to the exhaust shop(2 miles) sounded great and got lots of attention. Makes the ultraflos seem like quietflos after the install!

just for comparison to see what the original pipe would look like.
I believe this to be my original driver side exhaust pipe by the looks of my 1967 tire.
I don’t doubt it’s the original.
The muffler looks like it was changed almost looks like a hush-thrush? It’s 18 inches the only marking I found on it is an OT 8 and an arrow foward don’t believe it’s the original muffler but pretty sure orig head pipe.

IMG_5089.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

You fancy. We always just did the time-honored open-header trip to the exhaust shop.

That's a good looking car and it looks like you're having fun with it!

You fancy. We always just did the time-honored open-header trip to the exhaust shop.

That's a good looking car and it looks like you're having fun with it!
Exhaust shop?? We bolted on a set of Cherry Bomb header muffs and called it good- if we wanted to get fancy we put a pair of turndowns on the mufflers!

At this point I wish that's what I had done! If there ever is a next time, it's either that or TTI front to back:BangHead:

You sound EXACTLY like me trying to roll around under the car- same grunts, groans and a healthy dose of four-letter expletives...
There always seems to be a fair amount of finessing after an exhaust install- you'll get there! Sounds and looks good!

At this point I wish that's what I had done! If there ever is a next time, it's either that or TTI front to back:BangHead:

Damn dude, I paid similar to what you did, they also said they couldn’t use the header to muffler pipes, but mine is fully welded front to back and fits well everywhere.

Thanks, any issues with thumping the floorboards?
Cool thing I noticed when doing exhaust(dunno how I missed this over the past 12 years), original owner dated the leaf springs 1981 ds and 1982 ps. I've found numerous parts dated from original owner.
Beautiful car though and it sounds great.

20240715_092601.jpg

20240715_091937.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, any issues with thumping the floorboards?
Cool thing I noticed when doing exhaust(dunno how I missed this over the past 12 years), original owner dated the leaf springs 1981 ds and 1982 ps. I've found numerous parts dated from OO.

View attachment 1716276398

View attachment 1716276399
No, it’s real close on my drivers side leaf spring shackle, but I’ve got the Dr Diff offset kit, so I expected that.

-
Back