Tips on installing Doug's on 68 A body

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
Pulling out the old 318 in my 68 and dropping in a new motor with Doug's.I am thinking pull the old motor with the tranny.And then reinstall the motor and tranny together.Can I drop the engine in with both headers bolted to the engine?I am thinking pulling the passenger side torsion bar or maybe both torsion bars to give myself plenty of room.The Idea is not to beat up or scratch up the Doug's while I am dropping in the engine.
And I really don't want to drop the K frame and put the engine in from the bottom right now.

From what you're talking about removing, why not just drop the k frame install everything and lower car onto the k frame like the factory did? It would be a hell of a lot easier the factory way, just sayin. Otherwise it's install everything then from the bottom install the headers. Oh and install/use a mini starter, trust me on that one (the original can never be used for a rebuild let alone a core exchange).

Bust the upper ball joints loose so you don't have to do an alignment if going from the bottom..

You can lay the headers in before you drop the engine down. Make sure you blanket them so they don't get scratched. Go slow and jockey them around a bit. Don't even try with the starter or oil filter installed.

No chance they go in from the top attached to the engine.

I use to install hedmans from the bottom, I just loosened the motor mounts and put a jack under the oil pan and raised the motor about 4 inches. Then, I slipped the headers up from the bottom (car was on ramps). Never done dougs.....

To answer your question, no.

what I plan to do when I install my 360 with dougs headers is to get the car on ramps, lay the headers in the engine bay, lower the motor and tranny in from the top and when the motor is a few inches above where it will mount bolt on the headers

-
Back