Tips to install cardboard headliner?

-

KenZ

Reaction score
Anyone have any tips or steps to install the cardboard headliner in a 73 Duster? What do you install first to hold it in place? Are there any clips or anything that holds it up above the doors?
All of the glass is out of the car.

Thanks,
Ken

The stock one that was in my 73 scamp was held in with the domelite, the flap from the windshield, the trim around the rear window and the long trim pieces that go along the top of the door opening.

I would get someone to hold it in place while you tuck the front under the windshield gasket and install the domelite, I have paid one of the neighborhood kids 5 bucks to help me before.

If the windshield and rear windows are out, that's a good thing. As JR said, the headliner goes under their rubber seals. It's easier to install if you don't have that to worry about. You just have to be careful with the fragile headliner when you install the window seals so you don't scratch or chip it.

There is probably a round button with a spring clip on its back that is holding up the headliner at the very back, just above the rear window. If your rearview mirror is mounted above the glass (not glued to the glass), then it has three screws into the roof framing, and that will hold up the front of the headliner. The sides have two or three small metal clips that hold the edges of the headliner to the roof rail pinch weld. The edges, of course, are covered up by the textured metal trim strips. Finally, the dome light holds up the center.

You'll have more room to manuever the headliner into position and prevent damage if you first remove the quarter (pop-out) windows. In fact, I don't really think you'll get it in there otherwise.

Good luck,
Jerry

It also helps to take out the front seat(s).

Learned that at the Plymouth dealer back in the day.

The sides have two or three small metal clips that hold the edges of the headliner to the roof rail pinch weld.
Good luck,
Jerry

Does anyone have a pic of what these clips look like? And, where to get them?

Both windshields and the quarter windows are out, as is the entire interior. We recently finished painting the car and now are getting ready to put it all back together.

Thanks for the help.
Ken

If you haven't already done it, or thought about it, I would highly suggest placing insulation up against the roof before re-installing the headliner. There are a number of types and brands of products. On the two cars we rebuilt, my son and I used an insulation we found at The Home Depot. It looks like a sheet of bubble wrap layered with aluminum foil on both sides. Cut it to shape with scissors and either glue it or tape it up against the bottom of the roof. It's thin enough not to interfere with the headliner and comes in a couple of different width rolls. As a matter of fact, we covered the entire floors and firewalls with the same material for insulation and sound deadening.

Jerry

Jerry,

We've used that exact stuff above the headliner on two other cars and we're using on this one as well.

:)

Thanks,
Ken

If anybody is aware of a dealer or a customizer making the cardboard headliners, I would appreciate a message on this. I have a 73 Dart, and the headliner is my only missing piece to the puzzle. I had a guy make a headliner out or a plastic material and cover it with fabric, but its too difficult to get in place.

I haven't found anyone repopping the fiberboard headliners, but there are some ABS plastic ones available on the web. I think some of our members here have gone that route, but I'm not sure I saw any comments from them.

Jerry

Any suggestions for somebody wanting to install the cardboard headliner into a '73 Duster WITH the glass in it?

I looped a short piece of wire through the roof support in the middle where the dome light mounts, then tied the other end to a short dowel rod. Get someone to help you get the headliner into the car, raise it up to the roof, and slip the dowel rod through the dome light hole, making sure it spans across the hole so the headliner is suspended up close to the roof.

Allow the rear of the headliner to dip down slightly so you can push it rearward. Using wide putty knives to lift the edge of the windshield gasket, you and your helper carefully tuck the leading front edge of the headliner under the rubber. Shift the headliner around to align the holes for the dome light, coat hanger screws, and seat belt anchor bolts at the roof rail. Remove the wire support and mount the dome light to prevent shifting. Repeat the putty knife technique to slip the headliner under the rear window rubber gasket.

Install the small metal clips along the loose edges at the roof rails, then mount all remaining hardware and trim. Keep in mind how fragile the old headliner is and handle it accordingly.

Nothing to it,
Jerry

Ken, take a few pics for me will ya. My headliner is on the way, a picture say's a thousand words LOL.
AL

I'm still trying to find out what kind of clips hold the sides to the rail above the doors. Anyone have any pics?

That's all we need to put it in. I'll take pics when we do install it.

Thanks,
Ken

Thanks Ken the pics will be a huge help. I am not sure of these clips you speak of are they really needed or would just the window trim hold it in place.
Did you get the sail panels as well or just the headliner?
AL

Want to see what the headliner retaining clips look like? Here's your clips.
Will this do ya? Short side clips over roof rail pinch weld - long side laps over edge of headliner.
Honestly, they aren't necessary, once the metal trim strip is fastened over the roof rail. They
were probably a simple way to keep the headliner up out of the way during assembly at the plant.
Jerry

Headliner Clip 01.JPG

Headliner Clip 02.jpg

Al,

We didn't purchase a new headliner. Ours is in pretty good shape so we're just going to just paint it and put it back in.

Jerry,

Thank you for the pics. I agree they probably aren't needed one the trim is in place. But I can see how they would be helpful until then. :)
I don't have anything like that in the parts that came with the car, but I seem to recall something like that at Ace hardware so I'll check it out.

Thanks,
Ken

LOL, I just took mine out today. I'm gonna search for the plastic replacement headliner unless someone makes a cardboard one.

Any tips and hints on where to get one?

I also think those clips were used to "Help" install the headliner. I would take the sail panles down for ease of instalation. I know there a little bit of a pain to take down, but I figured once all the trim is out of the way, the front and rear will go in easy enuff and the rest is cake...or as close as cake gets for car work that is.

i bought a plastic one from legendary when i did my duster and it really worked out well. the only problem is the center of the front and rear is a little floppy and i had to make a holder strip to hold it up.the corners are split and they overlap to hold it in place. it came in a grayish color and i had to paint it.

Thanks Cole. I don't understand why that one needs to be covered. My cardboard one was simply painted black. Not covered with a thing except paint.

68post, thanks for the tip. I'll have to look it up for a price and such. Thanks.

Got my ABS headliner. It has the black fabric covering on it with a thin soft underlay. The rear pop out windows can stay in as the headliner was shipped in a box rolled up. So it can be rolled again to get it into the car. I will pick up some insulation and hopefully next warm day get to it.
AL

-
Back