Tire age

-
I've changed thousands of tires in my life and seen lots of instances where the inside of the tire had deteriorated to the point where there were loose chunks of rubber inside. Most of those were in the days before tires got a born on date, and most likely due to underinflation. I've used tires that were really old when I was young and couldn't afford to buy new, I used whatever I could find. I had a set of Uniroyal radial tires when I was about 17 on a full size Pontiac. That was around 1980, and there were known issues with Uniroyal tires, but I put them on anyway. Sure enough, within 2 weeks, the tread peeled off of the face of one tire, then another. I quickly junked them and scrounged up another set of bias ply tires.

My 1976 Pontiac Ventura still has it's original spare tire, A B.F. Goodrich radial that has never been used. The tires on the car are Hankook radials with less than 10k miles on them, but they are now 9 years old, tons of tread left, but I do intend to replace them by next summer, possibly sooner, first need to find 2 more 15 inch rims for it, ditching the 14s.
I also have a set of 4 Michelin TRX metric tires with alloy wheels from an 80s fox body Mustang sitting in my basement. They would be fine for a static museum display or show, but at possibly 40 years old they would not be useable on the highway, I did run them for one day about 12 years ago for a car show and was surprised at how well they still performed.

Unfortunately, far too many people still look at tread depth as the only determining factor when deciding to buy new tires, including some of my own family members. SMH

I generally run all of my cars at 35 psi front and rear, and light trucks at 44 psi.

I've changed thousands of tires in my life and seen lots of instances where the inside of the tire had deteriorated to the point where there were loose chunks of rubber inside. Most of those were in the days before tires got a born on date. I've used tires that were really old when I was young and couldn't afford to buy new, I used whatever I could find. I had a set of Uniroyal radial tires when I was about 17 on a full size Pontiac. That was around 1980, and there were known issues with Uniroyal tires, but I put them on anyway. Sure enough, within 2 weeks, the tread peeled off of the face of one tire, then another. I quickly junked them and scrounged up another set of bias ply tires.

My 1976 Pontiac Ventura still has it's original spare tire, A B.F. Goodrich radial that has never been used. The tires on the car are Hankook radials with less than 10k miles on them, but they are now 9 years old, tons of tread left, but I do intend to replace them by next summer, possibly sooner, first need to find 2 more 15 inch rims for it, ditching the 14s.
I also have a set of 4 Michelin TRX metric tires with alloy wheels from an 80s fox body Mustang sitting in my basement. They would be fine for a static museum display or show, but at possibly 40 years old they would not be useable on the highway, I did run them for one day about 12 years ago for a car show and was surprised at how well they still performed.

Unfortunately, far too many people still look at tread depth as the only determining factor when deciding to buy new tires, including some of my own family members. SMH
I've seen that and always attributed it to running low on air.

That inside rubber dust/debris is the inner liner coming apart and as said it it normally caused by running a tire very low or having a flat tire and driving on the tire for a distance. You can usually see the damage on the outside of the tire as a ring around the sidewall of the tire where the rubber is worn down. Any tire with that type of damage should be discarded.
Tires have had DOT numbers since 1971.
I was in the tire business from 1973 -2008.

Yep, it ruins tires driving them low.

my sister was over and her tire was low, “oh no big deal I’m dropping it off at the dealer later in the week.” I filled it for her as we live 35 miles apart and she drive 25 each day to work. It had 15 psi in it. She said the dealer took the tire off and showed her rubber shavings inside. turned it into garbage

FYI discount tires have sets of cooper's with $110 off through tomorrow. It says online only. If you get to the point where it asks for your vehicle and it is not listed and you will cause no mopars are listed, just call you local shop and they will give you the discount.

I’ve heard of 4 blowouts, 3 BFG TA’s and one unknown

1 TA blew out on the freeway, car spun out and smashed the entire side of the car On concrete barrier Full rebuild and repaint needed

2 TA blew on freeway hit guard rail with front fender, also broke fan shroud and tore up inner fender GM car.

3 TA blew on road and tore up front fender.

4 unknown on road radial blew and tore up front fender

5 old eagle st on a stored car indoors, tread came apart and tire came apart, lost air. no car damage.

When I was young parents car had recaps, rear tire blew on highway trip so it had heat in it. no big deal pulled over. Old man kept buying the junk recaps. “Good deal”

I have always based m tire buying on the tread left. I don't plan on changing my habits at my age. I raced on used tires in my youth without worrying and was quite lucky in that that was the last time I had a blowout. We used special formula compounds to soften tires for extra traction or to harden them for certain track surfaces. I found this interesting article on tires that mentions possible laws making it a criminal offense to drive on outdated tires.
A Closer Look at Tire Aging | Chapel Hill Tire

Just put a sticker on your back bumper to let everyone around you know that your are driving on old tires so they can give you room just in case.
Luck eventually runs out for everyone so think of those around you.

I got the tire off today and closely inspected it. I could find nothing that penetrated the tire. Nothing. So I think it just blew out from age. There's ZERO cracking on the sidewall, however, looking into the valleys of the tread, I can see cracking on the tire carcass itself. They are 8 years old, after all.

Watch the freeways during the summer and you will see delaminated tread all over the sides of the road.
Note : the Motor homes, boat trailers, travel trailers etc... that sit all year and get taken out for summer vacation.
Low air pressure is like running low coolant in your radiator. Heat builds up to the point of tire/engine failure.

That's the boat I am in. My 'new' travel trailer is on it's 3rd summer, the tires are almost 4 years old. General rule of thumb with these tires is 5 years max. I hate to spend the money for new ones, but like usual, these look fine and have tons of tread left. I think I am planning on waiting till spring and then getting a new set. Still before the recommended time, but this brand has earned the nickname of China Bombs, since the RV companies skimp out on everything, my camper with a GVWR of 7600lbs, that came with 2 3500lb axles and tires rated for 1820lbs. If I load it to the max the tires and axles are too small, but it saved them a few dollars. I'll be going with a heavier duty tire that has a higher load range and more plies in the sidewall, you know, what the manufacturer should have used.

So, aight den. I got Gladys' new tires put on today. I feel a lot better about the old tires. I found the valve stem was faulty on the tire that blew out. The entire copper center of the valve stem had come unvulcanized from the rubber stem and was leaking. I was able to pull the entire copper core out with my thumb and forefinger it was hanging on so loosely. So, it wasn't the tire's failure. The valve stem caused the tire to leak down and it lost contact with the outside bead and ruined the tire. Still though, eight years is a long time for tires and as soon as I get these two paid off, I'll be getting two more.

Oh and I put steel screw in valve stems in this time, like I should have eight years ago. lol

In the shop getting 4 new tires.

IMG_2243.jpeg

I think thats the size I will go with too. I’m currently running 235/60/14.

What is the date code on your new shoes? Are they mid/late 2022 or this year?

I think thats the size I will go with too. I’m currently running 235/60/14.

What is the date code on your new shoes? Are they mid/late 2022 or this year?
Those are the size that I had on my car before I replaced them. Yes they are all date coded 2022.

A fellow car club member had this happen on the interstate last year, in the left lane. Tread separated from the tire. Fortunately he was able to pull over without incident but the carnage happened in the blink of an eye.
I know mine are well past their safe age (but no visible dry rot) & I think about it every time I'm driving.
Trying to hold off until my front disc brake conversion & rear axle swap with LBP 15" wheels (hopefully by next year).

Tire.jpg

-
Back