Tire and wheel questions

-

Detroit Muscle

Reaction score
I know there's many posts directly related to mine, but after much searching I feel like my question isn't completely answered. I'm looking to get a new tire and wheel combo. Currently running the stock 14" wheels, with some tiny rubbers. I'm going with a 15" wheel, but wanted to know a good size for the fronts and rear. I really would like to have a minimal tire size of 235/60R15, but would like to go taller and fatter. Also not sure about the backspacing as well. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

The car is a 1969 Plymouth Barracuda. One last question to maybe speed this question up, what size should I go with if I were to get this wheel.

http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/shop/product/vn105-torq-thrust-d-satin-black

I know there's many posts directly related to mine, but after much searching I feel like my question isn't completely answered. I'm looking to get a new tire and wheel combo. Currently running the stock 14" wheels, with some tiny rubbers. I'm going with a 15" wheel, but wanted to know a good size for the fronts and rear. I really would like to have a minimal tire size of 235/60R15, but would like to go taller and fatter. Also not sure about the backspacing as well. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

The car is a 1969 Plymouth Barracuda. One last question to maybe speed this question up, what size should I go with if I were to get this wheel.

http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/shop/product/vn105-torq-thrust-d-satin-black

Be careful about two things. If you go with a taller/wider tire in the front it might (like mine did) hit the front fender when you turn. If you go with a bigger/taller tire in the rear and shorter tires in front (to clear the fenders) you'll have a problem with getting a spare that matches the front and rear tire height. Also a taller tire doesn't fit in the spare tire well in my Barracuda (Fastback). If you have a sure grip rear end then you are forced to have a spare that is the same size as the rear tires but it won't match the front tires (if they are smaller/shorter).
I tried to get the tallest tire I could for the front of my Cuda. Luckily the tire shop told me that if the new tires don't clear I could bring them back if I don't run them on the street. This way I could experiment. Also the offset (in front) will also determine whether or not a taller tire rubs against the fender.
Does this make any sense??

treblig

I am fighting with 275 /60/ 15s right now but I bought the Nitto 555R which has a section width of 11.1 inches which is not working with the 15x8 with 4.5 " backspace , If your going to go with a modern looking wheel you might want to go up to at least a 16" wheel because there isn't many tire options for 15" anymore , the Radial T/A is a crappy compound that has really bad wet weather grip and the 3 brand names that the Cooper GT are sold under are just as bad as the Radial T/A. There is no way you will get a tire the size of mine on the front , you really need to just suck it up and read the sticky at the top of this section that has everybody's combo posted in it , then get a tape measure and do some math on your car, compare the tires you are using now by there listed dimensions to the tires you want to use and get under the car and measure the space your car has .

Best advice ........ask for Shawn at Newstalgia Wheel, he is a Mopar guy and helped me decide on my wheels and tires for my Demon. I even debated him on what I thought I wanted and what he said would and wouldn't work ........He was correct and I am very Happy, I told him what I was shooting for ,,,,as you, biggest, tallest, widest, and he set me up. :cheers: You will get a dozen what will, what wont work comments and still be confused as I was. Good Luck, I know its nerve racking to make the move, hoping you choose correctly. John

here is my change up......no rubbing in the front.

Attachments

• 1173591_10203770479129518_9132895390151602280_n.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 278
  • 20140503_123022.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 264
Thanks for the advice guys. Also if you didn't notice my link in the first comment, I found a set of American Racing Torque Thrust D's that I have my eye on, and they're from Newstalgia. The car will be more of a street car, and plan on running drag radials. I have a Buick Grand National with 235/60R15 and they really hook! Hopping to get that kind of traction with the old Fish, especially with the new motor I plan on building.

Beautiful demon by the way! I always told myself I will own one. Found and bought this Barracuda all within a week. Had no intention on ever buying one.

I did see that you picked American Racing Torque Thrust wheels, that's what I wanted when I started looking, I like them a lot..... Great choice. I was referring you to Shawn because of his knowledge of what size tires you could use on your car. They seem to have any size there. Hope you find the right combo ....and post some pic's when you get them on. And thanks for the complement on my Demon. John

-
Back