Tire Clearance

-

olddman

Reaction score
My 1965 Dart Gt has a problem with tire clearance. Thought I would see if anyone else has had this problem and could tell me what I need to do.
Have been trying to figure out why there is so much difference tire clearance on the driver's side compared to the passenger side. Anyone have an answer? How do I correct problem?

20200225_134625.jpg

20200225_134637_Burst01.jpg

20200225_134702_Burst01.jpg

Wow. I guess you need to figure out if it is a chassis issue or a body issue. If it were me, I'd start my taking a couple of diagonal measurements to find out if the diff is square and then go from there.

Look at these two pictures.
First the good side:
1668306096470.png

See how the leading edge of the wheelwell is relatively straight?
Now look at the bad side:
1668306468625.png

There may be some difference from the angle of the picture, but that's a LOT of difference. To me, it looks like the bottom of the fender recieved some kind of impact that pushed it upward in the direction of the green arrow. In addition, the lower contours of the fender look different.
Are your lower fender braces in place, and are they straight? (They go from the bottom edge of the fender to the bumper brackets).
Looks to me like there's some fender straightening to be done in order to pull that corner away from your tire- and it needs to be done CAREFULLY to avoid messing up your nice paint.

Possible worn bushings ? Or bent lower control arm ? I did have a similar problem and it turned out that my K member was bent.

Do you happen to have the correct upper control arm installed.
I saw a car one that had two passenger side upper control arms installed looked the same way as this car.

A couple of years ago I rebuilt the front end. Replaced bushings, ball joints, upper and lower control arm bushings, upper and lower control arm bumpers,
inner and outer tie-rod ends, tie-rod sleeves, torsion bar boots, strut rod bushings, idler arm and center-link. Then had alignment done. Tires are wearing evenly, no problem with steering or braking.

Will check fender braces and the lower part of fender being bent up. Never looked that close at the pictures taken, but as Professor Fate pointed out the fenders do look different. May have to find body shop that can make repairs without damaging paint.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will let you know more when I get this figured out.

Went outside today and looked at the fenders. Still scratching my head. Is kind of cold in the garage so will take a better look in a day or two.
Could someone tell me how to check to make sure the correct upper control arm is on the drivers side? SMCARNUT suggested that might be the problem.

when I went over my Dart bodywork the fender well openings were modded at some point, maybe you have 2 different fenders? but still Im not so sure that tire should be that close either it doesnt look "centered" in the wheel well.

-
Back