Tire fitment with springs in stock location.

-

Doosterfy

Reaction score
I'm new to Mopars so I have lots to learn. I have a 70 Gold Duster. I'm not moving the springs inboard. I want to know what are the largest tires that will fit into the stock wheelwells without any mods or sicking out at all. I'd like to go with 275-60-15 drag radials. Also would like to fit 9x29 stock eliminator slicks in there. Is this do-able. I'm using a stock width rear so any info about wheel width and offset would be helpful too.

I have never owned a duster but have found that keeping the rim at 7 inches wide and using a 4 1/2 back space works really well on keeping the side walls clear of the springs and quarters on my 67 cuda and 67 coronet.
Look at the clearance of what you have now for a tire and wheel now.
Measure the wheel well and find it's center.

Thanks for the info. The wheelwells look big enough to fit what I want without any mods and I figured a 7 inch rim is what would work. I'm surprised that I've only got one response to my question. I figured alot of people have figured out what fits. I'm going to take the measurements and make sure before I order anything. I'm resisting the temptation to start altering the chassis. I want to run as quick as possible with a flat hood, battery in stock location, mechanical fuel pump, full exhuast and as little highly visible speed equipment as possible. The first motor I'm putting in is a 67 440 with a 727 trans. It should make about 475 HP. The next motor I build for it will make as much power as I can without going with an intake that necesatates any mods to the hood. No power adders either. This is going to be fun.

What are you running back there,8 3/4 with big bolt axles and big brakes or small bolt?

I'm ordering a 9 inch housing with disk brakes and a 4.5 inch bolt circle. I'm either going with Strange or Moser but whichever one I get I want one to bolt right in and it must be the exact width as an A-body 8.75. I was considering going with an S-60 (Dana 60) but I'm planing on keeping the car for a long time and I'll likely run alot of different engine/trans combos and will need to go with different axle ratios and don't want to have to go through the hassle of setting up the ring and pinion every time. I like 8.75 rears too but two friends of mine warned me that it would wind up costing more in the long run if I try to push it into the 10s which I deffinately plan on doing. I wish someone would make a housing that looks like an 8.75 that a 9 inch center section would bolt into. Or a 9 inch housing that a Dana 60 cover would bolt onto to try and preserve the Mopar look.

275-60 will fit on a 15X8 with 4.5" back spacing. the 29" tire may hit the front of the 1/4

You can have 1/2 inch spacers made to put in front of the front leaf spring brackets to move the rear back. This will also tilt the rear shackles back to allow the springs to work better if they have a greater arch. You always want your shackles to angle away from the rear at the spring side of the shackle.

I have 255/60-15's on 15x8 rims with 4.5" of back spacing. I have about 1/2" of clearance between the tire sidewall and the springs and about 1 1/2" to the wheel well lip.

I would go with 4 to 4 1/4" of back spacing for a 8" rim and 275 tires.

BTW, this is on a 68 Barracuda.

275/60/14s fit my dart on police rims, 7" wide with about 4 1/4 backspace. I hear the dusters have a tiny bit more room so they should fit. If anything you should only have to tweak the quarters slightly.

-
Back