Tire repair suggestions

-

jos51700

Green Bearing thread connoisseur
Reaction score
Hi all,
i recently picked up a good size nail in a rear tire on my Dakota, but it's not leaking yet. I've replaced many a tire and have the equipment to break them down, but repairs have always been the goopy rope hole plug method, which I've never cared for. Had plugs pull out, it damaged the cords, seems cheesy, etc.

I'd like to patch this tire, but I'm hesitant to use parts store low grade Chinese patch stuff that is so readily available.

Got any recommendations on an industrial strength high quality patch?

I always take my tires in to the tire dealer for repair, but I know these days they are all using a combination plug/patch similar to these: Amazon.com: STEELMAN JSG381 1/8-Inch Tire Repair Patch/Plug Combo, Box of 25: Automotive

Hi all,
i recently picked up a good size nail in a rear tire on my Dakota, but it's not leaking yet. I've replaced many a tire and have the equipment to break them down, but repairs have always been the goopy rope hole plug method, which I've never cared for. Had plugs pull out, it damaged the cords, seems cheesy, etc.

I'd like to patch this tire, but I'm hesitant to use parts store low grade Chinese patch stuff that is so readily available.

Hi all,

Go to a tire store. 8 bucks if they take it off the truck or 5 if they dont

The tire plug might seem cheesy or not proper but I've done it to tires and its lasted for years with no problems.

Jeff

Plugging a tire is the best repair, hands down. You need to use the right plug and that's a self vulcanizing plug. They get hot and actually become part of the tire.

Patching a tire leaves the hole open for debris buildup. Over time, that debris will work the patch loose.

I've never had a plug fail ..... ever. Tire never goes low.... and even the Walmart brand "slime" works great

I have cold patched many a tire. Of course that was in my teens in the last century. I don't recall ever having one fail. All about the prep before the patching. I must have pissed someone off once back then, 2 of my truck tires got ice picked, in the sidewall, cold patched them, lasted as long as the tires did. I carry a plug kit on the motorcicle. As awkward as it looked, I plugged the rear tire right next to the 50 cent air dispenser at the closest serve yourself gas station. 5K miles later the tire wore out. Darn soft sticky tires :thumbsup:.

I've plugged a pile of tires and had many last a long time. Longer than the tire!

But I've had them pull out, and break cords, too.

I'll look into the link above.

As for having a tire store do it.....I want it done right

I've plugged a pile of tires and had many last a long time. Longer than the tire!

But I've had them pull out, and break cords, too.

I'll look into the link above.

As for having a tire store do it.....I want it done right
never heard of hot plugs, sounds interesting. I`ve always used a cheap plug kit when I do it myself. Usually wear the tires out before a failure.,

A funny note on this subject. Friends worked across town in a service station, the same mega oil company that I worked for. They had the service contract for the California Highway Patrol. The CHP had a protocol, get a flat tire, replace it. 1 little bitty hole was all it took and in their eyes the tires were junk, no matter what condition or length of service that tire had seen. For the paltry sum of $2 we could buy those BFG radials. We abused those BFGs on all sorts of vehicles. With the aid of a tire grooving tool, they made excellant pre-run tires for the desert racer and showed up on many unlikely vehicles, VW squarebacks, early Datsun pickups, just about anything with a 15" rim. Don't radius the rear fenders on a VW squareback with a torch, the tail light wiring loom passes right through that area :lol:.

Just plug it,
My wife picked a nail up in her daily driver when the car was almost new.
I plugged it in the driveway, it was totally flat.
4 years later its still holding, and the car is about ready for a new set of tires.

-
Back