Tire size versus ET's street radials

-

Ol'forest

Reaction score
I'm interested to know how fast some of you are going and on what size tire?
I've already decided that 245 is about as wide as I want to go on my dart as I can use the wheels I have and finding anything wider in 14inch is a pain.
I'd particularly like to see who's got the quickest ET on the smallest tires.:burnout:

Is your car mini tubed? If not, mini tub guys will chime in with there extra width when it won't fit your car with stock wheel houseings.

I run 315's street radials on my dart and it pulls 2foot wheelies on ss springs, 142 60' and gone 938 at over 148 , I never tried leaving harder then 3000rpm so I'm sure the 60' would drop if I hit hit harder, also at the top end there like riding on a rail compared to slicks wiggle !
To bad my 498 went boooooom though lol

Some of your "hook" will depend on the kind of power you're making and suspension mods, if any. I don't know if it helps at all, but on my old 2001
Z-28 I was running 255/50-16 MT drag radials and the car would 60' in the 1.7 range and ET in the 12 teens at 112-113 MPH. It went 12.55 @ 112 on 235/50-16's Goodyear Eagles!

I've got 6 leaf springs, but other than that stock. Like I say, I'll stick with 245's so what I want to find out is how quick can you go with a tire that small?
On American Muscle Car on TV they said a Mr Norms 440 Dart could get into the high 12's which seems quick for the skinny tires it had on it.
I want to stick with 14" wheels too, I've only seen 235 slicks for that size.

Thanks for the quick (Favor) reply Ten sec! R U rebuilding the engine?

Ol'Forest;

That's about all the slick you'll get for a 14 inch wheel. Go to 15's and get silly wide. It's also a combo of gear ratio, tire height and your power at the line.

While I consider 12's quick for a street car and on 14 inch wheels is not a joke ethier because of wheel spin issues, Mr. Norm's 440 cars would have a real good "Charge" at the top end since a 440 will smoke the heck out of the tire from a standstill.

You can get 12's preety easy out of a 340/360.

Some of your "hook" will depend on the kind of power you're making and suspension mods, if any. I don't know if it helps at all, but on my old 2001
Z-28 I was running 255/50-16 MT drag radials and the car would 60' in the 1.7 range and ET in the 12 teens at 112-113 MPH. It went 12.55 @ 112 on 235/50-16's Goodyear Eagles!

Didn't I just bump into you? LOL

Not a whole lotta difference in the G-years and MT's huh?

Thanks for the quick (Favor) reply Ten sec! R U rebuilding the engine?

Ol'Forest;

That's about all the slick you'll get for a 14 inch wheel. Go to 15's and get silly wide. It's also a combo of gear ratio, tire height and your power at the line.

While I consider 12's quick for a street car and on 14 inch wheels is not a joke ethier because of wheel spin issues, Mr. Norm's 440 cars would have a real good "Charge" at the top end since a 440 will smoke the heck out of the tire from a standstill.

You can get 12's preety easy out of a 340/360.

Didn't I just bump into you? LOL

Not a whole lotta difference in the G-years and MT's huh?

Yes you did, it was good to meet you! The 4 tenths difference between the Eagles and the DR's isn't much, but on the Eagles most of my ET's were 13 ohs. The 12.55 was an anomolie!

Oh, and I agree, gear ratio and tire height do play a big role. I don't know what's available in 14" sizes, but try to get the tallest tire you can, that'll dampen the hit to the tire a bit. I do know that Hoosier makes a Quick Time DOT in 275/55-14. A 55 aspect ratio isn't too tall, but you've got a better footprint than the 235/245's.

I have ran a best of 13.2 @ 105mph on stock E70-14s repop redlines.

I have only made 6 passes on the E70-14s with the air pressure set to factory spec….. With some more launch practice and air adjustment I think I could see 12s.

This is in full street trim including hub caps and a full tank of gas.

(full street trim includes all factory unmodified interior and exterior equipment in place)

My suspension mods are….

XHD replacement rear springs
Subframe connectors
Run of the mill stock replacement gas shocks

On a side note….. The same drive train in race trim ran an 11.78 @ 118mph.

(Race trim was when it had electric fans and water pump, headers, 3” exhaust, battery in the trunk, SS springs, drag shocks and slicks)

WOW Great times for E70's!
At the moment this car is my daily driver, it has a balanced n blueprinted 318 with a cam that is similar specs to the '69 340, mild port and polish, headers 600 vac sec, good fuel economy but doesn't have much pull below 3000rpm then it really picks ups.
When I get my D100 on the road, I can go to town on the dart. Put the 4.11 suregrip in it and then look at building another motor if the wife allows LOL
Thinking about a stealthy 318 stroker that looks stockish to an idiot. =P~

-
Back