Tire size

-

scamp1973

Reaction score
I have a 73 scamp..I need new tires..right now I have 215/65/15 on there now..will 235/60/15 fit?
Thank you

I have 235/60/15 on the front of my 67 barracuda, 255/60/15 on the rear with no clearance problems.

My 72 scamp fit 245/60r15. With a solid 1/2" clearance between unrolled fenders and unmoved springs. With moved springs and rolled fender I'm confident I can do 255 if not 265. Maybe in the future.

If you are unsure if your's will fit. Get the car level. Drop a plumb bob of your two contact points (most likely inner fender lip and springs). Measure between the two to, minus 1/2 in, and that will tell you the max width you can fit. Now. Measure from where the wheel mounts too each of the plumb bob. That will tell you where you need your wheel to be centered in order to fit the maximum tire size.

Do this for BOTH sides. You never know how well centered your axle is. Mine was actually about an 1/8 maybe 3/16 out between the two sides.

Hope this makes sense.

I have a 73 scamp..I need new tires..right now I have 215/65/15 on there now..will 235/60/15 fit?
Thank you

Why not just look at how much clearance you have now? The 235 is only 3/4" wider, and about the same diameter.

My 72 scamp fit 245/60r15. With a solid 1/2" clearance between unrolled fenders and unmoved springs. With moved springs and rolled fender I'm confident I can do 255 if not 265. Maybe in the future.

If you are unsure if your's will fit. Get the car level. Drop a plumb bob of your two contact points (most likely inner fender lip and springs). Measure between the two to, minus 1/2 in, and that will tell you the max width you can fit. Now. Measure from where the wheel mounts too each of the plumb bob. That will tell you where you need your wheel to be centered in order to fit the maximum tire size.

Do this for BOTH sides. You never know how well centered your axle is. Mine was actually about an 1/8 maybe 3/16 out between the two sides.

Hope this makes sense.

What rims do you have on your scamp. I am running SBP ralleys... I'd like to do the same as you... current have 205/70/15's...

Hope this makes sense.
What backspacing are you running on your wheels? I'm running into this issue on my 72 Swinger. I've done a 3/4 inch leaf spring relocation, and planned on running a 255 60 15 M-H Drag Radial on American Racing Torque Thrust D wheels.

-
Back