Tire sizes w/ spring relo kit

-

dkbug

Reaction score
Did a little searching throughout the threads and haven't seemed to be able to find a good answer.

Doing a spring relocation kit on my 70 dart at the moment, and am trying to figure out what my options on tire sizes are.

Does anyone have a clear answer on how big of a tire you will be able to fit with minimal work after a spring relocation kit? I plan on running my factory rally wheels, but wouldn't mind switching it up to be able to fit more tire with a different back spacing. What have you guys experienced with any of this?

Mini tub is not out of the question, just not sure if I am brave enough to tackle it yet.

Give me some options guys.

Thanks in advance

Just realized this is in the wrong area. Mods do my the favor of moving it to the other part of the forum please? :)

Moved to the Tires & Wheels forum for 'ya :thumbup:

If you aren't going to mini tub, don't do the relocation. Do an offset kit.

With the offset kit you can fit 10.50 section width easy and safe.

With the relocation you can fit 13.1 section width, easy and safe.

I have more under mine but they rub a bit at times.

The first pictures are 26x10.50's with the offset kit.

The last one is 28x12.50's with the relocation. The issue is I have them mounted on 11.25" rims and the measuring rim from MT was a 10". I didn't think it would make much difference but I was wrong.

Attachments

• 2013-05-31_18-07-02_756.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 291
  • gas tanksmall.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 294
  • 20150430_150936.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 292
Also, spring relocation takes away from cornering ability. Not something that get's mentioned here much, since most folks have a one track mind about straight lines around here. You can put it back with a sway bar.

Also, spring relocation takes away from cornering ability. Not something that get's mentioned here much, since most folks have a one track mind about straight lines around here. You can put it back with a sway bar.

I'm going to argue this point.

How are other wide tired vehicles using narrower, the same, or only miniscule wider track widths but handling like a track car should? I mean, the suspension must fit inside the rim/tires.

Just a thought.
M3 60.6"
MC40 58.5"
C5 61"
Viper 62.9"

A-body - 59.1"

If you aren't going to mini tub, don't do the relocation. Do an offset kit.

With the offset kit you can fit 10.50 section width easy and safe.

With the relocation you can fit 13.1 section width, easy and safe.

I have more under mine but they rub a bit at times.

The first pictures are 26x10.50's with the offset kit.

The last one is 28x12.50's with the relocation. The issue is I have them mounted on 11.25" rims and the measuring rim from MT was a 10". I didn't think it would make much difference but I was wrong.

Baby steps. My car is already being cut on to do the spring kit. Eventually I want to do a mini tub, but I am not brave enough to tackle it yet. What can I fit with just the spring relocation kit?

I'm going to argue this point.

How are other wide tired vehicles using narrower, the same, or only miniscule wider track widths but handling like a track car should? I mean, the suspension must fit inside the rim/tires.

Just a thought.
M3 60.6"
MC40 58.5"
C5 61"
Viper 62.9"

A-body - 59.1"

^^^^^^^

I also upgraded my springs. So with stiffer springs, it can't be worse that stock spring location with worn out springs.

Once you get you springs relocated, start measuring so you know exactly what will fit, going off what someone else did will give you an idea but may not work for your car. I just measured and put 255-60-15 on the back of my 68 dart. Some people said they would and some said they would not fit. I have stock rear, SS springs and Moser axles, stock steel wheels with 4.25 back space and 7 inches wide, no other mods done.

Attachments

• dart new tires.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 230
The mini tub is not hard at all. Just takes time is all. I have a 70 dart, mini tubbed, fender lip is not rolled. 15x10 with 4.5 back spacing. 325-50-15 leaves about 3/4 inch on both sides of the tire. However my rear end is narrowed.

The mini tub is not hard at all. Just takes time is all. I have a 70 dart, mini tubbed, fender lip is not rolled. 15x10 with 4.5 back spacing. 325-50-15 leaves about 3/4 inch on both sides of the tire. However my rear end is narrowed.

Very similar here. Mine are 11.25" rims with 3.5BS. It's narrowest rear you can go with leaf springs and a mini tub. I rub the same tires but on that wider rim.

-
Back