Tire sizes with 14 Rallye wheels

-

Gib Warnick

'65 Valiant signet
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a '65 Signet that I am putting 14X5.5X4"BC rallyes on. Everything underneath is stock. What size tires are you guys running on 64-66 cars. Also. does anyone have a source for trim rings for the 5.5 wheels-all I can find is expensive and for 14x6" wheels.

is your car a V8 car, or slant 6??

I have a 64 Valiant, factory 273 car,

I am using 205/70/R14 on my car, with 5.5 wide rims.

The car handles much better than with the skinny 13's. :thumbup:

Not sure, but these trim rings Might work.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...400230+4294869316+4294774889+115&autoview=sku

WVI-3005-14-1

Wheel Trim Ring, Snap-In, 14 in. Diameter, Polished, Stainless Steel, Fits 5 in. or Wider Rims, Each

2549elks_and_Alexis_and_other_032-med.jpg

Allthough I don't have rally wheels my rims are 5.5" wide. I have
P195 70-R14's on the front and P205 70-R14's on the back with no clearance problems. I would like to try a 15x7" on the rear but haven't found anyone locally with one to try. Mike

Thanks for info guys-I ordered one of the Summit trim rings- It looks a little narrow but may be an option. I'll let you all know how it works when it arrives......
cavemanmoron said:
is your car a V8 car, or slant 6??

I have a 64 Valiant, factory 273 car,

I am using 205/70/R14 on my car, with 5.5 wide rims.

The car handles much better than with the skinny 13's. :thumbup:

Not sure, but these trim rings Might work.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...400230+4294869316+4294774889+115&autoview=sku

WVI-3005-14-1

Wheel Trim Ring, Snap-In, 14 in. Diameter, Polished, Stainless Steel, Fits 5 in. or Wider Rims, Each

2549elks_and_Alexis_and_other_032-med.jpg

wild1_Robertson said:
On a early a body seams a little tight.

not at all... i ran them on my 64 valiant.. and djvcuda runs them on his 66 cuda... about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch clearance on the spring and nowhere near the quarter panels....

I run them and am in the process of going to a 255 in the back

I used to run with stock 14x 5.5 ralleys a 245 /60 /r14 all the way around

now i have skinnier tires up front for drag racing ...lol
but I just measured last night - these are the clearences I have
from the hub of the drum ( wheel mounting point ) to the spring - 5.25"
fromthe hub to the wheel lip - 5 1/2"
from the hub to the inner fender _ it tapers up ever so slightly - 5"

so there is 10.25" of clearence in there - right now I have a 245/60/14 which is pretty much a 26x9.5" size - i run those fo slicks and have NO rubbing -

the spring is close - less then 1/2 inch
the wheel lip is over 2" away - tapering up from the inner wheel well...

so you can fit a 9.5" wide tire with plenty of room to spare - i've had the same 245/60's on the back for 12 years.... altho since the 360 went in they are wearing very thin...lol

I ordered one of the Summit trim rings(see earlier post)- It was worthless-It was about 1 1/2 inches deep-didn't lip out over the outer part of the wheel-didn' t cover past the valve stem-it looked like something off of a 40's car. It would install OK-was polished-was a wheel vintique product. I sent it back. I ended up using 225X70x14 Radial T/As. It left plenty of room with no clearance problems. I ordered one to check out (the tire shop might have retruned it for me-but they sent four. I am sure 235 or maybe 245x70 would have worked in the back. The closest fit was with the leaf spring. The car has a 7 1/4 rear for now with an 8 3/4 in the future-didn't know if it would be tighter or not. Thanks for all your input.

the spring location will not change - any rear -

stop with all the details lee....

YO LEE - what friggin tire size ya runnin...lol

Thanks, To bad I dont have it anymore. It was real solid other then the floor boards.

Sorry, guys. In front I'm running 15 by 3.5 with a 26 in tall tire, in the back is a stock width 8 3/4 (I've also put the 94-98 rear disk brakes off of the GC jeeps also, which made me .250 wider over all I do believe)(I can explain more on this deal if need be) with 15 by 10 with a 7.5 backspace, Draglites on all four courners. Ya, it's minitubed, I'm running the N-50 M/T "I"(dog bone) tire.

I was kind of joking when I posted about the 15's. Really this post was referring(?) to stock stuff wasn't it? If so sorry, I wasn't tring to be a butt. But really I would think that you could do it with everything being stock, that is if you have the big pattern wheels. Course I've seen 15" Centerline wheels with the small pattern before.

My computer crashed here at work and I don't have my pictures up on this computer. I'm getting a new one here in a week or so.

Lee

ya better hurry up with the pix...lol

howd you make out with the headliner?

and adam, whats the next project??

heres my cuda with 205 70's up front and 245 60's out back... theres tons of room to go out with - you can see the wheel well is still open - i can come out with another 1" of tire...
DSCN5760.JPG

DSCN5754.JPG

heres a 26 x 9.5" slick 8.5" tread, 9.5" sidewall - whick is excatly the same size as my 245/60/14's

7-14-1D_076.jpg

Killer pics! DVJCUDA, no on the headliner deal. I'm trying to get the roll bar painted. I must of lost the rear bow wires from two Valiant's that I took the headliner out of. I went and looked at the 64 Dart and it had short ones which wouldn't work for then I went and looked in my 65 cuda and those were longer. I guess that I will use them.

For anybody interested

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cent...7QQihZ015QQcategoryZ34209QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just talking about these and bam here are some. I forgot this sit won't let me post my pics, there are to big.

Lee

I was wondering if the distance from the leaf spring to the back of the backint plate/front of brake drum is different on the 8 3/4 rear-which would affect how the whee/tire would sit ralative to spring/wheel wells. Thanks
DJVCUDA said:
the spring location will not change - any rear -

I would think that could be debated. As in if you had an 8 3/4 with the bigger brakes then I would think that it would be wider than the stock 8 3/4 would it not?

Anotherwords isn't putting the 8 1/4 reared out of a 74 and up A-body a little wider from drum to drum compared to an original 7 1/4 our the these early A's form drum to drum.

It will bolt in, but is it not a wider track?

Lee

-
Back