tires hitting fender after front rebuild

-

freshayr

Reaction score
i posted this in the tires section also because I don't know if it is a tire question or a suspension problem:
I did a disc brake conversion and rebuilt the front suspension. (new ball joints, bushing etc,) Now my front wheels hit my front fender when I turn. I haven't had the front end alined yet but i turned the cam bolts as far as I could to pull the wheel away from the fender and it still hits. These tires were on the car before and worked. I have to run a spacer behind the front wheels now to keep them from rubbing the calipers but I don't know why that would make a difference. My tire are 26" diameter. shouldn't they fit?

hows the ride hieght ? My fronts are 27" tall and they dont rub.

i tried raising it and lowerer it and it doesn/t seem to matter. I confused here.

Adam, do you have drums or disc? I am wondering if my disc brake conversion causes my wheels to sit wider now. As I said, I had to put a wheel spacer in. The outside lip of the tire catches on the fender opposite the direction of turn. i.e. if i turn right, the drivers side outside lip hits.

I am assuming that you did the 73-76 disk brake conversion. This pushes the wheels out by about 1.5" on each side. If the picture in your signature line is the subject car the wheels are either wide or do not have much back spacing. If it is it's not suprising that they are touching now.

Anyway, you will need a smaller diamter tire or a different wheel.

i did the ssbc conversion kit. Good point on the backspacing....i didn't think of that. (that's why I love this site)

How do you like the SSBC kit ? It looks nice but alittle pricey for me.

i was happy with the ssbc kit. I had a couple issue but i am not sure if it is their problem or just the common things you run into in these situations. My exisiting cragar SS wheels hit the caliper after install so i had to run a wheel spacer. now this. These are not the wheels and tires i plan on running so I have to buy new. Guess I just need to be sure I get the backspacing and diameter right. If i were to do the conversion again, I would probably go with the mpbrakes setup. The reason being you get a new a arm and ball joint with it. I went with the ssbc because I did NOT want to switch a arms. When I got into it, I couldn't stand it and I ended up buying new ball joints and replacing the whole front end anyways.

Thats the reason I was looking at the SSBC kits. My front end is all new so I dont want to be changing ball joints and control arms again. I may go with the Wilwood kit. With the ammount i drive this thing they should be fne.

My fronts are 205-70-15s but I've run as big as 215-75-15s on it. But I still have drums.

I have 235/60-14's on stock 6" wide Mopar Ralley wheels. Before I did the 73-76 disk swap I had some American Racing slotted chrome wheels in 14x6 in the small bolt circle. These had less back spacing than stock and required a 1/4" spacer to clear the lip on the OD of the 9" drum. With the same tires it was very close to touching, like a 1/4" clearance when you turned the wheel. Even with the addtional track of the disk brake set-up with the Ralley wheels I have a little more clearance.

-
Back