Title question.

-

circlepilot

Reaction score
I hope someone can provide me with some advice. I've just closed a deal on a non functioning, but restorable 65 A Body, (complete) located in near-by Oklahoma. The seller bought the car in the same condition in Washington, and trailered it to Oklahoma. The Oklahoma buyer and the Washington seller, both signed the Washington state issued title, consummating the sale in 2006. (The car was last registered in 1998) The Oklahoma buyer never registered the un-drivable car nor processed the title. I'm planning on bringing the car to my place in Arkansas. The Oklahoma seller seems to thing that it may take as much as $500.00 to make the title to where I can title it in Arkansas???? If I have a valid bill of sale from the Oklahoma seller and the title with the signatures, that should be all I need???
Norm

Ask your state's DMV what they will need. They will know for sure.

Exactly right. Laws and rules regarding titles and such vary from state to state.
C

personally, I would have the owner you are buying from go ahead and title it - once he gets the title back in the mail, he can then sign it over to you so you can title it...

The Oklahoma buyer and the Washington seller, both signed the Washington state issued title,

As said ask your state's DMV

I've passed on sales like this. The last buyer.........evidently the guy who sold it to you, screwed himself and you, if this were me, here in Idaho.

If I would have bought a car with a WA title, to take to Idaho, and there was a second buyer / seller in the mix, I could transfer the WA title direct to Idaho.........IF I treated it as if the original title holder were selling it to me, and ignoring the "middle man" entirely. By putting his name in the mix, the last seller screwed both of you.

Here, in ID, I'd either pass, or tell the seller to contact me WHEN HE HAD A CLEAR TITLE IN HIS NAME, no exceptions, NONE. Otherwise, "walk."

From what I read on Craigslist, getting a title is a piece of cake

Tell that dumb *** to go to a Ok tag office and get it put in his name and then transfer it to you...I highly doubt its going to be anywhere near 500 for him to get his **** fixed...

Tell that dumb *** to go to a Ok tag office and get it put in his name and then transfer it to you...I highly doubt its going to be anywhere near 500 for him to get his **** fixed...

Whether it does or doesn't, and it won't, IT IS STILL the seller's responsibility to provide clean paperwork

I did go to our DMV and they said (generally) the same as most of you did. "Get him to fix it!" I'm in communication with him now.
Thanks to all for your responses.
Norm

I did go to our DMV and they said (generally) the same as most of you did. "Get him to fix it!" I'm in communication with him now.
Thanks to all for your responses.
Norm
He went to the DMV and requested to process the title he received from the previous owner, as a "title only" not to be "tagged" to drive. His DMV has said it will cost around $200.00 (no big deal) because of back taxes (on a parts car???) and a penalty for not processing the title within an allotted time? Anyway, when I go to get the car, we are supposed to go down to their DMV and straighten it out. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
Thanks for all the advice.
Norm

He went to the DMV and requested to process the title he received from the previous owner, as a "title only" not to be "tagged" to drive. His DMV has said it will cost around $200.00 (no big deal) because of back taxes (on a parts car???) and a penalty for not processing the title within an allotted time? Anyway, when I go to get the car, we are supposed to go down to their DMV and straighten it out. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
Thanks for all the advice.
Norm
nice - that sounds about right

-
Back