to advance or not to advance cam???

-

earthmover

in the tire smoke
Reaction score
8)well guys a buddy calle today an ask if i was going to try and race the car this year.i told him yes and went on about diff. stuff to do or try and i already have somrthings in mind but thats a little later on once my shoulder is about right...he ask me if i thought about adv. the cam 4deg. and i said no. he thinks it will make some diff. thought i would run this by you guys and get some ya and na so whats your thoughts on this...
car runs pretty good just looking for some more out of it..runs 7.54 now with a slow 1.67 60' at 89.9 i think it was....

things i plan to up grade some this yr.
8" verta
maybe 4.88 and 29 slick
add water pump drive kit and electric fan (have fan now plan this soon)
try a 750 dlb pumper..

motor now is
340 bored 30
dome tops on h-beams (about 11.5.1)
36 total time with locked dist. autolite 63 i think 35 gap
j-heads mild port /240/140 @500
comp cam x282xs 520/540 with 1.5 rockers/16/18 lash
x-cal intake cleaned up runners with a 950 hp
727 rev. patt. 9.5 dynamic verta 5000
4.57 gears with 27/10.5 qtp
8 gal. cell alum. radi
msd 6al with 7500 chipframe conn.
70 duster

so what would you guys do or try.....would like to get this thing down a few more 10ths this yr....:read2:

What intake is that again? Weiand Excelerator? What design is that?
The cahnges I'd look at before the cam timing would be smaller carb.. I think a std 4510 800 would be more responsive and keep the power up top. The intake i'm on the fnece with. I would be running an M1 single plane. Not sure where what you have differs from that... Also the convertor is definately something to change. 9.5s can be lazy with the short stroke, regardless of the stall rating. The 8" is a good move there. If you have no trouble with whell spin I would not change the gear/tire package just yet. What is your trap rpm? Do you ever run the 1/4?

hay moper yes thats the intake a single plane weiand excelerator..as afr as carb go i plan to try 1 my buddy has a 750dp but until then i dont plan to spend 450/500 just to try cause i plan to upgrade things down the road...i tried the m1 before just didnt pull as well but thats when i had the comp cam 306 mag. solid 555/555 in the car.. even cross my mind to reinstall it and try it again. yea the verta is going to have to be changed for sure...lupo says its as far as he can go with it...as far trap rpm i have only been down the 1/8 mile with it last yr. when i got it running,but plan to run the 1/4 mile this yr..but rmp in the 1/8 mile is 5200 crossing the trap.....cam works to 6200 and i shift at 6000 i think the intake works from 1500to6500 not to sure on that....

I had to go find a pictuer of that intake...lol. It looks to me like it has shorter and larger diameter runners than the M1. I think it's a few small things making it launch soft. I's try the M1 with that 750 if you have access to it as I've had good results with them and honestly if you're not turning much over 6K that 950 is huge for your package. The difference between a 4150 750 and an HP950 is over 300cfm because one's dry flowed and the other is wet flowed. The dry flow loses about 15% when compared to the wet flowed. The 950 dry flowed would be closer to 1090cfm... they are that much bigger.

hay that sound logical i think thats spelled right...anything else you see moper give my your thought im a big boy i can take it...hahaha the m1 i may can try again..i also have a torker340 intake i forgot about it..its matched to 1 set of heads i have not sure which 1...

hay that sound logical i think thats spelled right...anything else you see moper give my your thought im a big boy i can take it...hahaha the m1 i may can try again..i also have a torker340 intake i forgot about it..its matched to 1 set of heads i have not sure which 1...
mike, the carb change first then what you might want to try before advancing the cam is open the lash up .004"-.008" to see if your hotrod responds to the change, if it does then advance the cam. also if you are running open headers try adding 18"-24" of collector on.

so what would you guys do or try....

I would try finding out what it'll take to make what you have now work,instead of throwing more money at it..just for comparison my 360 has less compression,less gear,less stall speed and i'm using a dual plane intake on drag radials.. my 60's are better then yours and my e.t's and speed are both better then yours too..just something to think about..

hay thanks for the reply guys bob yea im trying to get a 750 to try out now, my buddy has a aed 750ho got to talk him into it.hahahai my lash now is 16in/18ex so your saying go to maybe 20in/22ex and try it if im understanding..(just a little medicated today) but thanks i have some app. in the next few days but then im all clear i'd love to come up your way ..tired of sitting in this house everyday..ill give you a call tue. or wed. if thats okay with you.. oh im running headers in to 3" pipes with flowmaster muff.
when i installed the motor i had to cut off some of the pipe in front of the muff. cause i took the big tube headers off and put on small tube for the bottomend..and right now its like 8 then a turn and then the muff. but 8" after the coll. i do plan to get some pipe and add to the pipe after the coll. do you think it would make that big of a diff. if so i could just go ahead and get about 3' of 3" pipe and fix it now...just cut off whats there and reweld it back on...

hay stroked 340 give me a run down on your stuff if you dont mind....i know that it has more in it i just have to find it(tune it)as far as throwing more money i cant im not working just some things i can do with my son myself.although i did pick up a set of 28/10.5 m/t slicks and a water pump drive kit for it ........so keep all the tech help and tune secrets comeing im a big boy i can take it....hahah thanks guys

Most all Comp Cams when installed per the cam card will be 4 degrees advanced. Also conventional wisdom is if you need to advance the cam 8 degrees or more for acceptable performance then you have the wrong cam.

give me a call about stopping by. sure would like to meet you and your son. with it having an exhaust adding to the collector might not do anything. yse you are reading me correctly about the lash.

11.5.1 comp. hay bob ill be doing that so i can get out the house...man its tough being in the house for mths at the time .

I seen that...but Cranking compression...is only known by a compression test

oh sorry i read your post to fast 185on all except 1 it has 182.....

-
Back