To buy this duster or not??

-

Bruce Leee

Reaction score
I am looking at a 1974 gold duster. Slant six... runs pretty nice.. drives well.... will need a few minor fixes to keep it street legal. Such as getting the blinkers fixed, etc.

Plan would be to paint.. fix the interior and drop a v8 in it. 318 likely. Thoughts? Car is priced 4500.00

20171112_000522.jpg

You don't have it bought yet? Lol

It looks like a good car. Price is OK too. I agree with changing the color. I think I'd lose the white roof too. Red with white Graphics, B5 blue with white graphics, or F8 dark metallic green with white graphics. Decisions, decisions. If you want a cruiser, don't go crazy with the engine. Small 4 barrel, mild cam and AC.

Ya that thing looks pretty clean and straight. Nice under the hood too. That would be hard today no too.

Might just need new hinge bushings

Needs a set of wheels and white letters and you'regood to go.

The main problem with slant six cars is that EVERYthing underneath has to be changed if you have plans for a performance build.
The engine: Face it, the slanty was NOT designed for performance, it is a reliable engine that was designed for long term durability.
The transmission: Slant six specific, it has to go because it fits nothing else.
K member: Slant six specific.
Front brakes: Usually a 9 or 10" drum. Not the hot ticket for a street car.
Rear axle: Most slant six cars had the 7 1/4 axle. THis thing will blow up with a 300 HP 318!
If the car is destined for cruiser duty, the slant six equipment are just fine.
I say....Buy the car if you intend to just tinker with and enjoy. The price is a bit high if you intend to scrap all the slant six stuff. On the OTHER hand...If the body is really nice, what is THAT worth to you? A wrecked and rusty V8 car is no bargain at $4000, right?

that car would sell in a hurry up here. Anyways, slant is no big deal. 150 bucks for /6 to V8 mounts and K frame is fine. 7 1/4 rear is not heavy duty, but I've beat on them with mild 318's and never lost one.... ever. In fact, the "low dollar 318" Duster I have was a slant. still has the 7 1/4 rear with 2.76 gears. All is fine, and it's for sure has had it's share of abuse.
Brakes, gets some disc off of a diplomat, aspen, volare or something of the sort and there is your disc brake conversion.
yeah, I'd buy it

I think it's cool. I like the color, too. I would leave it.

duster a-1.JPG
mopp-1204-03-1974-Plymouth-Duster.jpg
mopp-1204-01-1974-Plymouth-Duster.jpg
4a040d82518958b2550452cd536cc0d6.jpg

The first one is J6 Avacado gold. My phone doesn't help.The other ones are g2. Looks better with wheels though.

If it's as rust free as you say and the pics look, buy it. Trust me, you'll be money ahead in the long run

Looks nice and priced fair. As said I would start with a set of wheels and white letters to drive it around.

Buy it. Keep the paint it has and spend that paint money where it counts on items like new reproduction seat covers and any tune up or repair parts. It's usually more fun to drive if you are not always worrying about the new paint getting scratched or nicked. Not against good paint work if the budget allows, but many people over value the cars after paint work and then don't drive them as much.

It's a fair price for what it appears to be.

Just remember to keep in mind what you'll have invested in it end game. (and be real honest with yourself)

Rustfree and straight bodies are worth some $$ to those that do not do their own bodywork or those that are tired of it!!. I bet it cold be buffed out to shine like a new penny! New car for ure. But. Over priced for my conversation self. Especially if you have to pay someone to do the work, ie smooth out minor dings, you know where the costs goes!!
Find good running stock SB, add trans, driveshaft, new carb, misc., radiator,... you know the $ drill.

Just remember. Body work can cost as much as paint. I could buy that car cheaper than I spent at the body shop getting my lower quarters and trunk floor extensions fixed on my 66. That being said, like barbee6043 said, a good solid car is worth the extra price in bodywork savings alone.

Wow you guys have it so lucky..........up in Cleveland people would just stop and stare and ask where's the rust? $4500 would buy you a crappy lowered '94 Honda with a fart can muffler and a car like that would fetch $8000 buy the car!!!!!!!!!

-
Back