To Drill or Not To Drill??

-

olddman

Reaction score
Will try to be brief about this, but need some suggestions. I had to replace the timing chain cover on my 1965 Dodge Dart GT with the 273 engine. Found one online and ordered it. Got it today and it is different than the cover that was on it. I found out that the cover that was on the engine was one that was made after 1969 which meant that he timing mark was cast into the cover on the drivers side of the cover. Must be for a 1970 and up LA engine. Because of the timing mark dial being cast into the cover, it is now without one of the mounting holes that the original cover had.
Whoever replaced the original cover with the later model cover screwed a bolt into the block, cut it off and ground it down so that it is smooth with the block. Am I correct that the bolt was put in because water comes out when screw is removed? My question is should I drill a hole into the bolt, that is in the block, and use an easy out to try and remove the bolt or should I get a cover like the one that was on it and leave the bolt in the engine?

Pictures would sure help. I think you need the correct cover and repair the bolt hole. it's there for a reason and leaving it the way you found it isn't going to help you in the long run. Good luck. If you post a picture of the correct timing some one may have one.

You can’t just change the timing cover to the earlier one. There more to it. You TDC indicator will be in the wrong place. The early cover uses a cast iron pump. The later used a aluminum pump. The lower radiator hose connections are on opposite sides. I would put what was on there.

No telling what he put on the bolt threads so it may not come out very easily. Maybe everybody’s favorite JBWeld or epoxy. Proceed with caution. Don’t be in a hurry.

Your last sentence is the best idea to me, get a cover like you just took off and leave it the same way it is now. Everything fits and lines up.

I mis-read the original post. If the cover has the timing marks cast in then you would need the same cover. But I still think you need to repair the broken bolt. Replacing the cover and having a new gasket may have a problem with sealing because of the broken bolt

-
Back