To me, Craig's list is officially taboo

-

harrisonm

Reaction score
I used to sell a lot of things on Craig's List. Then, aver the past few years, it has gotten more difficult. Years ago, most items I listed sold within a few days. People called me, we chatted, they came and they bought. Then I started getting more and more scam attempts. I continued selling on Craig's List because I eventually got some decent results. However, I just listed something on Craig's List and Fakebook Marketplace (which is also slipping into the scammer rabbit hole, but is still decent) and within 10 minutes I was contacted by 2 scammers who wanted me to verify a code they sent me. I told them to either call me or FORGET IT! They forgot it. I am DONE ever trying to list on Craig's List again.

I agree, it used to be a pretty good sight to buy or sell, I get so tired of a reply that says " is this still for sale" about 5 min after I posted it, I assume they use your reply info for some phishing scam? I never reply to those. And when you send a request WITH your phone number then ....crickets! BUT I am not a social media person I do not have a Facebook account or any other than my email, I belong to a couple great forums, this being the best in my opinion. And being in Canada I don't find it much use selling/buying on here because of shipping, exchange, brokers, etc. I do it once in a while for stuff I really want and cant find anywhere else or maybe to help a forum member out with something I have that they need but I usually just wait for the swap meet season to get what I need, or Amazon, then I just need to sift through all the garbage they offer and figure out what works and what's decent. I feel your pain but it's the world we live in now I guess.

Craigslist is pretty much done. Scammers, they are going to be where ever the most selling / buying is.

I ignore any cl communication that mentions a code or asks if I still have the item.
(or asks if I still have _____________________ which is the exact listing title)

Simply ignore.

When poor people didn't have internet access it made it inherently safer.
Now everyone has a phone and an angle.

I can understand why people ask if what you're selling is still available simply because some people don't remove their ads. I once called about a car for sale and the guy said that he had sold the car a couple months ago and he why are you calling me about the car and I said because your car is still listed for sale, so to a point I can understand it

I still sell stuff on CL every now and then, but just household junk. I never sell car parts on there because I don't want people coming around my house. I can spot the scammers a mile away.

I hate I have to use Facebook marketplace now. Craigslist was a much better website. I can't even get Facebook to stop showing me things 500 miles away or have nothing to do with my search but are related to something I looked at last week.

I don't even look at CL anymore. At all.

While Craigslist has always had it's issues I've sold a lot of items over the year on there. Today I mainly just buy from Craigslist.

Now here is where Craigslist shines. There are a lot of people that want nothing to do with Facebook, so while there are less people on Craigslist there is still commerce happening.

Tom

I have never had a Face book account and never will. It would be a most impressive sight to see a grave these days that says, “ Here lies a Gen X’er who never had Facebook.”

The main reason for no Facebook dates back to a job I used to have where it was highly encouraged to be a “gray” man. It stuck. Now, all I hear is that FB is filled with a bunch of BS and overpriced Mopar parts. I get my parts from the retailers and For * Bodies

Let's not forget the Craigslist Killers, at least 3 of those 1st-class POS's.
About 20yrs back, an aquaintance went to look at an old CL AMC down WV/MD way. After they got Him in the barn w/the car, They pulled the door mostly closed, soon He realized there was something up.....They quit responding to His comments & questions, & just stood there between Him & the door, thankfully He had the good sense to bring the .357 with Him. Drew down on 'em & told Them to get away from Him & the F'n door or He'd shoot 'em both, wtf........
Unfortunately, the senior couple that went south (I think FL?) to check out a red 1st gen. Mustang weren't so lucky...or prepared, & lost Their lives...

While Craigslist has always had it's issues I've sold a lot of items over the year on there. Today I mainly just buy from Craigslist.

Now here is where Craigslist shines. There are a lot of people that want nothing to do with Facebook, so while there are less people on Craigslist there is still commerce happening.

Tom
Exactly! I have a CL account, and since I'm parting out a truck right now I have about 6-7 postings on there. Not many responses, and I ignore the obvious (to me) scammers and phishing attempts, but I still manage to sell some things every now and then....

And I'm in no hurry, and have no pressure, to sell anything....

However, as a buyer, I've found some wonderful deals lately, and after reading the "I don't go there anymore" responses above, I can't help but wonder if that's not part of the reason. Less traffic= less competition!

Let's not forget the Craigslist Killers, at least 3 of those 1st-class POS's.
About 20yrs back, an aquaintance went to look at an old CL AMC down WV/MD way. After they got Him in the barn w/the car, They pulled the door mostly closed, soon He realized there was something up.....They quit responding to His comments & questions, & just stood there between Him & the door, thankfully He had the good sense to bring the .357 with Him. Drew down on 'em & told Them to get away from Him & the F'n door or He'd shoot 'em both, wtf........
Unfortunately, the senior couple that went south (I think FL?) to check out a red 1st gen. Mustang weren't so lucky...or prepared, & lost Their lives...
This is exactly why I don't want to fly places to check out a car because you can't take anything with you for defense. I can take someone else with me but that puts them in danger too. I prefer to drive and have someone to go with me and protection

This is exactly why I don't want to fly places to check out a car because you can't take anything with you for defense. I can take someone else with me but that puts them in danger too. I prefer to drive and have someone to go with me and protection
You can fly with guns and ammo

If they see a gun in your bags or on you at lambert airport they take them from you. It's happened many times
That's not how you do it... if you try to take an undeclared gun on an airplane you're gonna have bigger problems

That's not how you do it... if you try to take an undeclared gun on an airplane you're gonna have bigger problems
For real. Declared, unloaded in checked baggage, it's not rocket science......but I've lost count of how many idiots/absent-minded travelers that have been stopped, & had a firearm seized...loaded at Pgh. Intl. Airport, a woman just a couple days ago...loaded 9mm..:rolleyes:

Read the ******* rules Dan! Now, I’m being rude.
I'm going to check out what states that you can carry without a permit. We can here in Missouri except for st.louis I think but I could be wrong. Either way I'm gonna check it out before I say anything

-
Back