To much GAS

-

hogan

Reaction score
I have a 66 426 hemi with a cross ram man that blows gas out of the driver side header. I had the carbs rebuilt and a new fuel pump. Any ideas what is going on....

Is it like raw unburnt fuel or just really fat? Have you checked for spark on the cylinder?

Pull the plugs and have a look. Probably tell you all you need to know. Vacuum gauge could turn up some useful info also.

Did it do this before the carb re-build? Having a problem understanding how it could run great with gas fouled plugs.

Yes it did it before the carbs were rebuilt. car runs good till plugs foul out

What type of carburetors are we talking about here? One barrels? Briggs and Stratton? What? What's the engine combo? Cam? Compression? Where is the initial timing set?

You might as well have asked "I need help, my car is red"

Throw us some bones here, we're not mind readers and I couldn't afford my crystal ball subscription payment this month.

The more info you give us, the more you will get in return. Funny how that works.

It's a dual carbed Hemi. How do you know it has a choke?

:eek:ops:---------JETTING--------------- rebuild---float level. our crossram setup didn`t have any chokes. the rat roaster didn`t either. of course 66`s didn`t come w/ crossrams or ratroasters , stock.

There are just so many things it could be. Where to start?
I guess a good a place as any, is to see what the boosters are doing,while the engine is idling. They should be dry.
Perhaps the idle speed has been run up, to compensate for late ig.timing,leaking floatvalves.leaking power valves, or too much fuel pressure.
Yeah I think those boosters will tell you something.
Some manifolds suffer from puddling. Sometimes through temperature problems. Sometimes through less than optimum design.
Perhaps your valve lash is on the tight side, or gets to be on the tight side after warming up.Big cams can send a compression pressure spike back up through an open intake valve.(Well they all do it to some extent). Well this spike, if it finds its way past the booster, can signal the carb to dump a bit of fuel. If all 8 cylinders do it, this can be a problem.
I have never had a hemi, nor tuned one. But I seem to remember those cross-rams having tuning issues,back in the day.
You need to dry up that intake, I think.And checking the boosters is where Id start.Well actually the float level is where Id start. Or maybe boosters first then float level. Naw just check the boosters first. If theyre dry,the float level will be at least close.
How about cluing us in as to timing numbers? Idle speed? Idle vacuum?Single plug heads? Timing controls? Velocity stacks?Engine temp?

:eek:ops:---------JETTING--------------- rebuild---float level. our crossram setup didn`t have any chokes. the rat roaster didn`t either. of course 66`s didn`t come w/ crossrams or ratroasters , stock.

Didn't have 10.5:1 compression either. A 440 maybe and a couple of small blocks.
Hogan, we are gonna need some info here, like what Rusty asked for. You may have float problems, or fuel pressure problems, or ignition problems, maybe a carb leaking internally, the list is long. Plugged air filters can do this too.

I changed the fuel pump thinking I had to much pressure but it didnt change. I have no air filters just velocity stacks. Why would the gas only come out one side??

I changed the fuel pump thinking I had to much pressure but it didnt change. I have no air filters just velocity stacks. Why would the gas only come out one side??
I don't know, you said all the plugs were fouled.

Im not trying to argue with you. Im trying to rule out reversion.The stacks trap the reversion, allowing it to be drawn back into the engine, and over-fueling the idle, and they can negatively affect the bleeds and metering.Im not saying the stacks are THE problem.Just trying to prove that they are NOT CONTRIBUTING.
There are just so many things it could be. Where to start?
I guess a good a place as any, is to see what the boosters are doing,while the engine is idling. They should be dry.
Perhaps the idle speed has been run up, to compensate for late ig.timing,leaking floatvalves.leaking power valves, or too much fuel pressure.
Yeah I think those boosters will tell you something.
Some manifolds suffer from puddling. Sometimes through temperature problems. Sometimes through less than optimum design.
Perhaps your valve lash is on the tight side, or gets to be on the tight side after warming up.Big cams can send a compression pressure spike back up through an open intake valve.(Well they all do it to some extent). Well this spike, if it finds its way past the booster, can signal the carb to dump a bit of fuel. If all 8 cylinders do it, this can be a problem.
I have never had a hemi, nor tuned one. But I seem to remember those cross-rams having tuning issues,back in the day.
You need to dry up that intake, I think.And checking the boosters is where Id start.Well actually the float level is where Id start. Or maybe boosters first then float level. Naw just check the boosters first. If theyre dry,the float level will be at least close.
How about cluing us in as to timing numbers? Idle speed? Idle vacuum?Single plug heads? Timing controls? Velocity stacks?Engine temp?

from all the information you told everyone about your build and tune-up, also what you did while trying to fix it i'm going to go out on the limb and say you need to change your head lights out.

-
Back