To stall or not?

-

erobbins

Reaction score
Need advise on installing a stall converter. I have pulled the trans due to a leak and ordered a stall converter while I was at it.
I was told by a friend that I would have issues if I installed this Hughes Performance 2500 stall in my car and over heat my trans with my current gear.
Its a Dart Sport
727/360
Comp XE256 cam
rear is currently 8.25 open with probably 270 ish' gear.
I have a sure grip 355 to put in at some point, but wasn't planning on doing it right away.
My car will not see the track, but I want it to have plenty of get up. Is it foolish to put this converter in or should I put the stock back in.
Advise please!
Thanks

So, the Hughes 2500 stall is similar to what would have been installed from factory? Are you saying I shouldn't waist my money because there is not enough difference? I thought they were somewhere around 1600. With the gear I have now, will I likely have driveability issues or trans getting too hot?

At least you didn't get a 3500. I've seen lots of people just arbitrarily choose that, and then render their car almost un-driveable on the street.

The 256 cam probably doesn't need any more than factory, especially with those gears. Converter and gears together~~~ probably OK.

How are you liking that 256 cam? I'm considering that grind for my roller/302 head motor. Everthing else is pretty much stock, except eddy performer, 600 carb, and duals.

What else is done to your engine?

According to the comp simulator, that 256 has a much broader and earlier torque curve and only 10 hp less at peak than the next two sizes above it.

Looks like a shame to me to throw away all that useable torque for only 10 HP at the top end.

I ran a 8" 4500 stall in my Barracuda with no problem. Huge cam, 3.91 gears and a low 1st in the 904. It all depends on what your idea of streetable is.

I plan on running the Lunati version of the XE256 in the Duster.

So, the Hughes 2500 stall is similar to what would have been installed from factory? Are you saying I shouldn't waist my money because there is not enough difference? I thought they were somewhere around 1600. With the gear I have now, will I likely have driveability issues or trans getting too hot?

NO.

A stock stall is in the neighborhood of 16 -18 hundred, a factory high stall is around 22- 24 hundred. That's why I said there wouldn't be much if any difference between a high stall and the Hughes..

If you're going to 3.55's in the very near future then put it in there. Like Adam said you can add an external cooler as well.

I run a stock stall in my Dart with 3.55's and I have no trans temp issues at all, although it is somewhat sluggish off the line.

I personally wouldn't buy an off the shelf converter, I will have one built to match my combo when I am ready to do the swap. They are more money though.

I have almost finished restoring my car and only driven it down the road so can't tell you how I like that cam. Dropping the trans already! Lovely. I wouldn't take my advise, but..
360 .30 over
speed pro flat top 9.1 pistons
Performer Rpm
Eddy 650
XE256 cam
Headers,

I have almost finished restoring my car and only driven it down the road so can't tell you how I like that cam. Dropping the trans already! Lovely. I wouldn't take my advise, but..
360 .30 over
speed pro flat top 9.1 pistons
Performer Rpm
Eddy 650
XE256 cam
Headers,

Sounds like a fun package.

-
Back