To stroke or not to stroke, that is the question

-

hamsterhats

Reaction score
Dart finally went to the body shop today! Getting a plan together for the motor, need help! I have a 318 and am definately using it. Should I just do a set of heads, cam and a rebuild kit or should I spend 1600 bucks for the stroked kit I think it ends up around 391. Not sure if the money on a stroker kit will be worth it.

Here's some list what you need if you build that stroker engine,, stroker crank, set of stroker pistons, you need also (good?) pair of heads, maybe edelbrocks:-D?sure, you can use cast iron heads too,, bigger camshaft than stock, new set of good rod bolts if using stock rods,good intake manifold bigger carb, Deep oil pan, machine work,,etc.etc Maybe that 1600$ budget is too small??.

I have 390 engine and it's costs ~5000$ and includes-> eagle cast crank, rpm maxx 4340 h-beam rods (if using i- beam rods, machine work is less expensive), diamond forged pistons .030 os ,->machine work, eddy heads/machine work( changing springs), M1 intake, holley street avenger 770, hughes engine hydraulic camshaft/lifters/valve springs, milodon deep oil pan, hv oil pump, hv water pump,headers, new torque converter 3200-3800 stall.gasket set and new head gaskets, etc.etc

I think, it's less expensive build that 318. New set of KB 399 pistons???,balancing/machine work, good iron heads, new camshaft,bigger carb( 600-700cfm) intake, headers, hv oil pump, hv water pump etc. etc.8)

It is worth it to build the stroker if you can afford it. You will need higher flowing heads to feed all of those cubes. How much do you have in your budget for the engine?

my stroker motor (360) hasn't been cheap but i also havent been trying to stick to a budget. since this is my first car to restore and modify like this i'm trying to go big since i know i wont be able to do this again.

since i'm using a magnum motor, only parts i have kept is the block and connecting rods. had to get arp rod bolts, stroker crank, pistons, rings, eddy heads ($1500) (my choice of course-could've stuck with cast heads), intake, carb, cam, hyd flat tappet (couldve stuck with roller but engine builder told me it wont make any more horsepower), la timing cover, la water pump, mini starter, elec ignition, spark plugs, alternator, damper, machine work, ($1000) etc. i've been trying to keep track of the money i have spent on my car.

Again i knew i wouldn't be able to do this build again so i wanted to do everything i possibly could that i've always wanted. the car will be a blast but the cost factor isn't fun.

Dart finally went to the body shop today! Getting a plan together for the motor, need help! I have a 318 and am definately using it. Should I just do a set of heads, cam and a rebuild kit or should I spend 1600 bucks for the stroked kit I think it ends up around 391. Not sure if the money on a stroker kit will be worth it.

Most definitely do it.
I know of a dakota 4x4 with a 390 in it (heavy vehicle) and it hauls ***.
Imagine what it would be like in a light car...night and day man.

Thanks all, sorry for late response, was on a trip. Budget wise, I don't care,doing it little by little. The kit is 1600, eddy heads 1400, machine shop, not sure. My goal is motor by next summer. The dart is in the body shop now, so no rush. I am excited to do this motor, just not sure how to go about it, what cam, heads to choose. When the time comes, I am going to call the manufacturers to get help with all of this. Please chime in if you have any thoughts!

Hi, speed-o-motive offer that 390 stroker kit $1350,00,. I have that base kit with few upgrades, h-beam rods, new thicker flexplate and new harmonic damper. that base kit was 1150$ in summer 2008.

Yeah, that is the brand that I am looking at, 318 to 391. The kit has gone up in price especially when they charge 200 to balance the crank. Are you happy with performance? How much power does yours produce?

i'm not sure about power, i have dished pistons, eddy heads, 0 deck, 4.060 bore/0.024-0.028 head gasket. = 9,8cr. But i already have bds 6-71 blower in garage, maybe next summer it's on that engine.
If you choose flat top piston, it's possible get that 400-450hp approx.

Thanks all, sorry for late response, was on a trip. Budget wise, I don't care,doing it little by little. The kit is 1600, eddy heads 1400, machine shop, not sure. My goal is motor by next summer. The dart is in the body shop now, so no rush. I am excited to do this motor, just not sure how to go about it, what cam, heads to choose. When the time comes, I am going to call the manufacturers to get help with all of this. Please chime in if you have any thoughts!

Before you buy anything for this motor, your first purchase should be "How to Build Big-Inch Mopar Small-Blocks"....I'm hoarding parts for my 360 to stroke to a 408....I read EVERY word of this book and I'm glad I did....Soooooo much to learn and understand before you embark on this project.

I bought mine from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1932494065/?tag=joeychgo-20

Nice dartswinger84!!! Can't wait to see that!!!!sassy, that will be a definate buy, thanks!

I read that book too. Lots of good info in there.

Also ou812 on this board is selled prepped RHS heads for a good price. As far as cam I would hook up with ou812, he does R&D work for Comp Cams, that is who who I got my cam from.

There's night and day difference between a hot 318 and a mild stroker but it really depends on how fast you want it to be. If your happy with a mid 14 second car the 318 will do fine. If you want a screamin mid to high 12 second car do the stroker. Not that a 318 can't run high 12's. It's just it'd be pretty radical compared to the performance of a very mild stroker.

Definitely install the stroker kit. Another 70 cubes will be like adding another cylinder and make it much easier to build power. If the engine is already worn out you`ll probably (at least) have to bore it out and have the crank turned. If you`re going to buy pistons anyway you might as well do it with another purpose in mind.

Stroke it!!!

If it cant be blown you might as well stroke it!!!!:-D:-D

It is not just the cubes that make a stroker better it is the leverage that the longer arm puts on the crankshaft that gives it the impressive torque. Kind of like the difference between using a short wrench vs a long wrench to loosen a tight bolt.

Anyone know where I can get samples of very bright orange paint,go-mango and brighter, also some burnt orange metallic? Thanks, posted in body/trim

Before you buy anything for this motor, your first purchase should be "How to Build Big-Inch Mopar Small-Blocks"....I'm hoarding parts for my 360 to stroke to a 408....I read EVERY word of this book and I'm glad I did....Soooooo much to learn and understand before you embark on this project.

I bought mine from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1932494065/?tag=joeychgo-20

I would have to 2nt.......or 3d it.:read2:

I red threw the book twice!!!! And will read it again before i start on my stroker...........some day.............

-
Back