Toad's 1970 Dart restoration in Vegas

-

toadonkeys

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm new to Vegas and new to this forum. I've been restoring my 1970 Dart since the end of January, 2010. It's my first time doing anything like this and am obviously learning as I'm going! I have a few things that are on the top of my list of priorities:

- getting a real flat-black paint job with a flat clear coat?? Does this even exist?

- reinstalling the power steering pump (I'm sure several of you out there know how miserable it is to steer with a non-functioning power-steering car). I'm a skinny dude so this "armstrong steering" has GOT to go!!

- reinstalling the heater and A/C back in the car. It is an original A/C car and the A/C core is still there under the dash. I live in Vegas and it's about to get REALLY hot here soon...

Everything else I need to do can happen whenever it happens. I have to re-finish the interior but I have most of those parts already. Just a matter of finding time to do the work.

Thanks everyone for stopping by and again I'd appreciate any/all help/tips anyone may have!!

Toad
[email protected]

Hello and welcome to For A Bodies Only! I love 70 Darts! Please post pics if you can!

if your looking for the "flatblack" look, PPG make a real nice "satin" look, called hotrod black, like on the old 30's roadsters.

You think it's about to get hot in Las Vegas soon? Just wait until after you paint your car black!!!

wow..black car in vegas is super hot...you wont be able to touch the thing in summer time...

good luck on your restoration...

HELP...

How do you post photos within the threat??

Easiest way is to get yourself a free image hosting account, ie, start a Photobucket account. As long as you stay below the minimum usage (I have and I post pictures at half a dozen different forums, and for years) the account is free.

Once you've uploaded your pictures to your Photobucket account, you can post the link to them here. You can click on the little icon with the mountains on it (yeah weird, I'd use a icon of a camera but I didn't design the forum software) and paste the url of the photo. Photobucket also lists different link formats below each image you upload, you can just copy and paste the ones with the "img" extensions on it.

Like so 8) . Nice Dart by the way! =P~
vbpgimage.jpg

When you post pictures using this method you can add text below the picture, or between multiple pictures.

vbpgimage-1.jpg

You can also attach pictures using the forum image storage, by clicking on the paperclip icon above the text box when you post to the thread. Then click "browse" and select the photo you want to post and click upload. Only thing is they appear at the bottom of your post and are limited in how large they can be, so you may have to resize.

Like this.

vbpgimage.jpg

You can also attach pictures using the forum image storage, by clicking on the paperclip icon above the text box when you post to the thread. Then click "browse" and select the photo you want to post and click upload. Only thing is they appear at the bottom of your post and are limited in how large they can be, so you may have to resize.

Like this.

Cool...thanks for the tip!! Much appreciated!

On another note, here's my "project of the week"...POWER STEERING!!

Does anyone know if I can use the original power steering pump that came with the slant 6 on my 318?? I know I'm gonna have to replace the pulley since it doesn't line up at all, I'm just wondering (or should I say "hoping") the original pump will work for me.

Thanks again,

Toad

Cool...thanks for the tip!! Much appreciated!

On another note, here's my "project of the week"...POWER STEERING!!

Does anyone know if I can use the original power steering pump that came with the slant 6 on my 318?? I know I'm gonna have to replace the pulley since it doesn't line up at all, I'm just wondering (or should I say "hoping") the original pump will work for me.

Thanks again,

Toad

I guess I should mention that I'll also be restoring my car's A/C...will this make a difference regarding which pump pulley I should have??

Thanks,

Toad

the bracket that attaches the ps to the engine should be different on the v8 then the /6...

if i get home in time...i can check out the pulley/pump that i took off a 71 318 dart with a/c....i should have it since i never throw anything away

the bracket that attaches the ps to the engine should be different on the v8 then the /6...

if i get home in time...i can check out the pulley/pump that i took off a 71 318 dart with a/c....i should have it since i never throw anything away

Awesome thanks!! I have the V8 brackets to mount the pump to the motor, I just need a pulley that's the right size. For anyone who, like myself, isn't familiar with replacing this bracket; beware that one of those bolts will spill out coolant once you remove it. Yeah...that was an awesome surprise!!

-
Back