Toein/Toe out

-

fastmopar

fastmopar06
Reaction score
72 Dart Swinger 2dr.
I switched from power steering to manual (header clearance). I have tried repeatedly to get the toe in/toe out close enough to drive to an alignment shop. I get it set and drive around the block - no tire howl. Park it. Next time out it's howling. Look at it and one tire is either in or out visibly.

Bad idler arm? Something else?

Thanks,

fastmopar

how are the ball joints? as they hook up to the tie rods/ do you measure the toe ? car on the ground from the front of both tires in the center say 52 inchs then from the same spot on the tire in the back take a measure. you want it to be the same . then move back and forth and read again. alan

Jack up the front of the car and move the tire back and forth, keep your eyes on the idler and ptiman arm as well as the ball joints. There shouldn't be any play or movement down there. Tires should turn uniformly.

To check the steering linkage ball joints (tie rod ends, idler arm, pitman arm) the vehicle should be resting on the ground while an assistant quickly jerks the steering wheel back and forth. While they are doing this place your hand on the joints and check for any movement. To check the ball joints, jack up the vehicle and rock the wheel in and out and check for movement in the joints as well as the wheel bearing.

-
Back