Tolerance of water pump play?

-
Just waiting on my 5 blade fan to arrive tommorow, gotta do some mock up to see what depth clutch im going to use. Then i figured might as well order the milodon water pump and t stat with the fan clutch

Thats what i was thinking, i can only hope that i can change it out without disturbing the seal on the timing cover. I know if i loosen the bracket to adjust the power steering belt it will weap a little coolant from between the water pump and timing cover but seals back up after you tighten it

Thats what i was thinking, i can only hope that i can change it out without disturbing the seal on the timing cover. I know if i loosen the bracket to adjust the power steering belt it will weap a little coolant from between the water pump and timing cover but seals back up after you tighten it

I think it will be fine. I've changed countless water pumps on small blocks and never had to remove a timing cover because of a leak. Now a broken bolt on the other hand.......

So i got the fan off, its definitely the water pump, grabbed the shaft and pushed down and pulled up and you can feel the play

Aaawright; diagnoses completed

maybe I should go check mine? lo.

BTW, I use a 7-blader, the 5 might have been enough, but I went straight for the bad boy. With a thermostatic clutch on there, I don't worry about horsepower.

Got it apart. Cleaned and prepped for the new water pump, i cant believe how much corrosion had already started around the hoses on the water pump. I also decided to pull my pass front intake bolt as it would slightly seep coolant every once in a while, took it out and upon removing it i heard a little puff of air, what caused this? I put some #2 permatex back on it and reinstalled it.

Ready to install the pump just need to run to the fastener place to get some new bolts for the water pump, clutch and clutch fan. Think im gonna go the stainless route.

9E816575-B5D4-4C67-A4FA-23D0B64BC8E6.jpeg

Some of the bolt holes are open to coolant or crankcase oil. I coat the threads w/ Permatex "gasket sealant" (purple, alcohol-based). I bought stainless bolts for the short ones and chromate for the long ones, at Ace Hardware. Good your timing cover isn't pitted. On my 273, it was almost corroded-thru to where coolant would have flowed into the crankcase. But, timing covers are still available and not very expensive.

Thats exactly what i have is gasket sealant, actually versachem brand so its brown, any insight on why air escaped that intake bolt hole?

Got the new milodon water pump on, man torquing those bolts to 30 ft lbs had me sweating lol. Im going to flush the rad out tomorrow with some distilled water, then i can change out the thermostat

BAD3E5D3-4DE1-49B1-B71C-C6350430D4C3.jpeg

-
Back