Too Hot?

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
Is 210 too hot?

Fresh 340 tuned at 18* initial 36 total. Seven blade Mopar clutch fan with with short jag clutch. 22" radiator re - cored with a added 3rd row added mopar shroud.195* thermostat. Everything is new with less than 100 miles.

The temp at stop light reaches 210. On the hwy it will only drop to 205. Hasn't seen over 210.

Just wondering if this is OK?

That wont hurt anything and should run good there, everything being new generates a little more heat, I always go by 220 or under is ok. Too cold they dont get warm enought inside and thats no good either.

That wont hurt anything and should run good there, everything being new generates a little more heat, I always go by 220 or under is ok. Too cold they dont get warm enought inside and thats no good either.

OK. I know the new stuff runs hot, but I always thought it was for emissons. I can rest easy.

Your thermostat could be regulating a little high. Although I would be fine with those temps, you could try a 180 stat and see if it regulates the temp lower.

If it still runs those temps after a 180 stat change, at least you will know what your cooling system is doing.

Your thermostat could be regulating a little high. Although I would be fine with those temps, you could try a 180 stat and see if it regulates the temp lower.

If it still runs those temps after a 180 stat change, at least you will know what your cooling system is doing.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm gonna swap it tomorrow. I also have a 16lb "lever" cap.

When its warming up and the thermostat first opens, it noticeably drops to about 195, but after won't go below 205.

love the lever caps. dont change a thing. 210 is fine, 205 is fine, 160 is NOT. The colder the running motor, the faster the bores wear, exponentialy. New motors need heat for emisions, correct. As long as intake temp is kept cool, you are still hot rodding. Got a puke tank?

My guess is those don't hold pressure like they should?

It does add a variable into the equation, IF it's not holding where it needs to that can affect cooling.

But, like said above, the temps you are running seem normal.

My car runs 180-190 all day long with stock cooling system, 180* stat and a non levered cap. (16Lbs)

love the lever caps. dont change a thing. 210 is fine, 205 is fine, 160 is NOT. The colder the running motor, the faster the bores wear, exponentialy. New motors need heat for emisions, correct. As long as intake temp is kept cool, you are still hot rodding. Got a puke tank?

I don't have a puke tank yet, its next on my list. Does it matter which style i get? I was just going to order a nice stainless steel one off ebay.

It does add a variable into the equation, IF it's not holding where it needs to that can affect cooling.

But, like said above, the temps you are running seem normal.

My car runs 180-190 all day long with stock cooling system, 180* stat and a non levered cap. (16Lbs)

That makes sense. Thanks for everyone's input. Most of what I have read on here is 190-195, so wasn't sure if I was missing something.

-
Back