too low shift points

-

jerry's demon

Reaction score
my demon 340 /727 shifts way too quick. adjusted kickdown lever all way back with carb wide open.have passing gear in this position. screwed k/linkage 2 turns in or 2 turns out, makes no diff in shift points. also ,passing gear shifts out at 60 mph. is this right? if i just take off easy, it will shift to 2nd under
10 mph and shift to 3rd by 15 mph. need help. thanks. car is 1972.
jerry

Where does it shift if you are wide open? I don't remember the correct light throttle shift points, but I don't think you're that far off.

my duster does the same thing. Normal light throttle driving and it will shift 10/15. Full throttle it will shift around 4500 rpms. I've tried adjusting the kickdown but that's all I can get it to go. If I want to hit 6000 I have to shift it myself.

i don't have a tach,so i don't know rpm shift point. linkage is stock. if i remember right,
before i readjusted linkage as mentioned, the arm was in the middle of the slot. then i
had no passing gear. it must very touchy.

I believe you need to change the gov to make the full throttle shift points change. It is in the tailshaft housing near the main case.

i'm thinking if i could get it to stay in each gear longer, it may stay in passing longer. maybe,maybe. what do you think?

Your right Jerry about it staying in passing gear longer if it shifted at a higher rpm and it sounds like you have the throttle pressure linkage (kickdown) adjusted correctly so the only cure is to do like TA383 said which is change the governor weight/spring. Many of the stock transmissions shifted at a early rpm like yours. Mine did too and I had to change my governor weight and spring assy. It's really not a hard job to do especially if you have access to a lift. I can do it in a couple hrs. You need to pull the driveshaft, drop the crossmember and pull the extension housing and the governor is assembled onto to the output shaft. The governor weight/spring assy. is help in by c-clip. You'll also need 2 new gaskets. The extension housing gasket and the extension housing snap ring access cover gasket which is located underneath the transmission mount. You may also need to change the o-ring on the speedometer pinion if it's leaking.

BTW: I don't know if you have a shift improver kit in yours or not but I've seen cases where some shift kits actually cause the trans. to shift earlier also. Still changing the governor weight/spring assy. will take care of things.

I have the opposite problem. The 2nd - 3rd light throttle upshift happens at around 40-45 mph. Any ideas? 1973 Duster 340.

Thrashard340 said:
I have the opposite problem. The 2nd - 3rd light throttle upshift happens at around 40-45 mph. Any ideas? 1973 Duster 340.

Have you tried backing off your kickdown linkage to see what happens?

BTW: I know this is a similiar problem but it's best to start a new thread with your own problem that way if Jerry replies back to his problem and you reply back to your problem it gets to be a clusterxxxx. Some guys even get mad if you hijack their thread.

fishy68 said:
Have you tried backing off your kickdown linkage to see what happens?

BTW: I know this is a similiar problem but it's best to start a new thread with your own problem that way if Jerry replies back to his problem and you reply back to your problem it gets to be a clusterxxxx. Some guys even get mad if you hijack their thread.

Point taken. Didn't mean any disrespect.

i forgot to mention. i have a 750? cfm carter comp series carb on my 340. i wonder if the dims. from centerline of throttle plate to center of throttle linkage is same as
original carb. mine is 1 1/4". also, is carb linkage & kickdown linkage supposed to be on same linkage
arm location? or should k/l be higher? or what? anybody know original dims.? this could open a can of worms. also, i live in mich. & will soon be putting
car away for winter,and would like to put this problem to bed. i think i may be
on the right track. only your help will guide me.
thanks,
jerry

Jerry as long as when your at full throttle and the kickdown is at maximum travel or in other words all the way pushed back that's all that really matters.

Just make sure you are getting full throttle by having a friend press the gas pedal to the floor while your watching the carb linkage. If it's going all the way your ok. If not you can try adjusting the throttle cable. I don't have a stock carb to measure but 1-1/4" pivot point sounds about right and the throttle cable and kickdown do hook up to the same point on the carb.

fishy68,
thanks for reply. i'm going to play with fine adj k/d rod as i used to be able to
have higher shift points. will keep all informed. again, thanks to everyone for
their valued input. this is my first mopar.
jerry

Glad to help Jerry. Welcome to the world of Mopar's!! Good luck with the adjustment fixing it.

BTW: No big deal really but if you want to be technically correct the actual name for it is not really kickdown linkage even though that's what it kinda does. The actual name is throttle pressure linkage. Just so you know. Now you can woo the Chivy and Ferd guys. Ha-ha.

when we had the 4:11's in the challenger, it shifted like that too. but then when i put the 3:23's in it, the shifts took longer. what gears are you running? maybe that has something to do with it. dave

fishy68 said:
Glad to help Jerry. Welcome to the world of Mopar's!! Good luck with the adjustment fixing it.

BTW: No big deal really but if you want to be technically correct the actual name for it is not really kickdown linkage even though that's what it kinda does. The actual name is throttle pressure linkage. Just so you know. Now you can woo the Chivy and Ferd guys. Ha-ha.
WELL....actually the linkage is still refered to as KICK DOWN today, as well did u know the 2nd gear band is called the KICK DOWN band??????????????

oldkimmer said:
WELL....actually the linkage is still refered to as KICK DOWN today, as well did u know the 2nd gear band is called the KICK DOWN band??????????????

You are correct that the linkage is "refered to as the kickdown linkage" but again that is not the correct name. It's name is throttle pressure linkage because it regulates the throttle pressure. When more throttle pressure is applied (up to a limit) it over-rides the governor pressure to cause the downshift thus you have a "gear kickdown". People just call it the kickdown linkage because that is it's most obvious function. Just as many people incorrectly call an engine a motor. Look in the factory service manual and you'll never see the throttle pressure linkage refered to as the "kickdown linkage".

And yes I did know the front (2nd gear) band is called the kickdown band.:) I've rebuilt several TF's over the past 25 yrs.

-
Back