Took the old 400 back to the track today.

-

fastback383

Reaction score
I had wanted to take the old 400 back to the track 1 more time before I yanked it out and stuck the 383 in it for next summer.I had it to the track
once this summer and it went a best of 14.6. I thought it should do better than that, but being that the motor had at least 80,000 miles on it and I know it has very little compression and still the orig 975 casting heads there was little hope of achieving much out of it. But my son was bugging me to go to the dragstrip, so I figured what the heck, lets take it out 1 more time. I had gone to the trouble of advancing the cam 4 degrees a few weeks back with the intent of taking it out once more. So we loaded up the slicks and headed to the track. First pass, without unbolting the exhaust 14.4, heck a little better.Next pass, 14.38, not blistering, but at least in the right direction.So I go back to the pits, get the timing light out and set the timing at 35 degrees, it was at 32. It then cranks out a 14.08, now were talkin, close to the 13's , which is all I wanted. So next, I swap the orange ECU for a old skanky black factory one I had laying around. I had read on the board here that some of ou guys had trouble with them retarding in the higher rpm range. So I figures what the heck, next pass , 13.8 ! Almost 3/10's quicker with just that swap, go figure, who'd a thunk it. Thank you to whoever posted that about the orange boxes being junk!
Then it ran a string of 13.8's and one 13.77. I am sure with a few jetting changes and open exhaust 13.50's were within reach . But I was happy I had not blown it up, now I can yank it out and throw it under the bench for my next project, eithor a stroker or just a decent 400 rebuild .All of this from a absolutely whipped 400, I can not wait for the fresh 383 next year. fastback 383. :D

thebeatgoeson.jpg

fastback383 said:
.....Almost 3/10's quicker with just that swap, go figure, who'd a thunk it. Thank you to whoever posted that about the orange boxes being junk!

Imagine with a full MSD system? I installed one on my car and the throttle response is noticably better.

If I can only get it to idle
nono.gif

Congrats on the fun day at the track!

109_0908.jpg

109_0903.jpg

Hi John, yep a MSD is in the future for sure, I was shocked at the difference in et's just with changing ECU's. Also a little pi$$ed off at spending the money on the orange box to slow it down.

Here is my 400 build (my 2 cents)

Run the 383 steel crank and either 383 rods or the 400 rods. I am running a set of rods I had shot-piened back in the 80's with ARP ro bolts. A set of late model forged 440 pistons (from an 8:1 comperssion 440) will adjust the wristpin height to bring the pistons to the deck height. Since the 400 has a larger stock bore than the 440 you will need to buy pistons to match the amount of bore required to clean the cylinders up. Mine is boared to a .060 over 440 which is .037 or .038 over on the 400 which is not "supposed" to be bored more than .040. I have not calculated or measured my compression ratio buy there is adaquate compression to support my 294/298 duration cam and turn 7000 rpm with a MSD 6a running soft touch rev limiter chipped at 7000. I did have the assembly balanced. I am hoping to be on the track before Sept and see what this beasst will do in a 3000-3200 pound swinger with a 4000 stall and 3:91 suregrip. I think I am going to need some real sticky street tires 24-26" tall :finga:

-
Back