Top-End Recipe - Stock or Stroker Undecided

-

YoungBlood

Jolt the Squares
Reaction score
My goal is mild street performance, whether I stroke or not.

If I ran the 360, Comp recommended the xe274h (230/[email protected]) Cam & Lifter Set. In doing so, the guy also recommend a 2500 stall, at minimum 2200.

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=628&sb=2

After perusing the 'LITTLE 318' thread yesterday it got me thinking a little more about Rhoads Lifters. After some research a few people claimed they were merely a 'band-aid' for screwing up and putting in too much cam.

I will be doing a lot of driving and want to retain a stock stall converter, so if I'm reading all this right I can i run the slightly bigger cam (230/[email protected]) and stock stall with the Rhoads Originals and get the benefits of super-streetability and maximum performance.

Seems to good to be true. If this is such an awesome top-end recipe, how come it isn't headlining across the world everyday? Is it a secret trick that people are keeping quiet about? haha

Thanks.

They are a band aid for combo biffing.

they can be noisy too.

I would do a lock up or over drive trans or look into sticking with the recommendations made by comp on gearing,convertor at least

There orignal intention was not as a band aid lifter. The manufacturer developed them for class racing. The idea as stated early in the 318 thread was to trick the engine into behaving like the cam is smaller. This equals torque. Once the rpm's go up, the lifters can no longer bleed down and the pump up like a lifter should restoring full duration and lift.

These lifters can be a plus on the street and light street strip cars. I like them on mild builds. Seriously, if your going to step up in the performance arena, then these are not needed or desired in a build. You think the combo out and run with it.

They do tick a bit loudly. Nothing that can not be ignored or have someone going, "WTF is wrong with your junk dude?" But they do tick.

Making use of them on purpose is a way to try to introduce a slighty bigger cam than what would normaly be selected for the task at hand. Like in the 318 thread. This also helps the use of his 3.21 gears and the 26 inch tire.
(If it wasn't a "On the cheap" build, I'd say spend money on gears, like 3.91's)

OR

Increase torque down low. Since the lifter cuts down the cams duration according to the Rhodes site by approx. 8* - 10*'s and lift by (IIRC) up to .030 in lift, this changes the cam dramaticly. (Again, This also helps the use of his 3.21 gears and the 26 inch tire.)

More wacky was of making use of these lifters, but not cheaply like requested in the 318 thread would be to use 1.6 rockers. Or Swap to a Magnum head and go 1.7 on the exhaust side of the head. Sometimes, 1.7 on the intake and 1.6 on the exhaust works better, this I have seen and only say, it's what the engine wants, and it's not what you think.

Getting 8 rockers isn't exactly what I'd call on the cheap as per the other thread. Pushing the rocker ratio up to 1.7 is not a garrentteee that it will perform correctly ethier.

Well the 360 is a stroke 340, I would leave it alone. I really like my 10 inch converter, it seems tighter than my old 11 inch Breakaway part throttle, 1,500 it seems to hold but when pushed it hit 3,000. I love it.

Cost like $500, I know but its much better than any $300 converter I had.

-
Back