Top Install

-

salinasjoel

Learning Daily
Reaction score
Has anyone done their own top install? Is it as hard as people keep trying to tell me or just tedious so they don't want to do it? Any good literature anyone can post in links? Where did you get your top and how easy was the install?
I have a 65 Dart 270 Manual Top

I did it ones and screwed it up , Never again.
I would get a pro to do it if you have never done it.
Darryl

The problem is if you screw it up, you will either live with it or pay someone to put another new top on.

If you want a nice tight wrinkle free top, have a pro that knows older cars do it.

Had a top put on my 67 Coronet and they did a crappy job and wouldn't fix it, the car was older than the installer.

On the dart had someone that did a lot of older cars and it looks great

The newer cars are made different for easier top install

IMO it is worth having it installed, it is a major focal point of the car and really a small price to pay

I will be installing the top on my Barracuda (probably). I've had one done (my GTS) and I've done one (89 LeBaron). I wasn't happy with the results of either one...

I'm going to try my own top install on the 66, but I also purchased a top here on FABO a while back for $40.00, so if I miff it up I'm only out $40!! The top I got was an ARO, which I now understand is a pretty crappy top so no loss if it don't come out.

For a top, I would seek out a Key top, which by all accounts is the best top in the business. I will also be buying one of those to replace the one I screw up!!!LOL!! Good luck with the install if you attempt it, and I'll post my progress when I do my own!! Geof

Get on line; Google “convertible top install”, there is a lot of info out there on this topic. I rented a video showing how to install a top; it covered the lingo used, measurements needed before old top removal, padding, renewing tack strips, staple guns to use, and methods of install. Sorry I don’t recall the site the rental came from.
Yes it is fussy work that requires one to follow step by step proven methods of install. It is not uncommon to have to rework a section to remove wrinkles several times before you get it right.

Plan on replacing all padding with precut model correct stock, not universal, installing new cables, and tack strips if at all degraded. You will need a pneumatic staple gun and stainless steel staples of various lengths contact cement both spray & brush on. Taking photos of each step of old top removal, and measuring where all top irons are in relationship to each other and body is a must to get the new top on correctly.

Also plan on cleaning and repainting top frame & irons once striped of old top (satin black). Performing this step will make for a nice clean finished look when completed.

Having the original top for reference is a great help. Removing the trunk lid can make it a lot easier on some models. A length of 2X6 will hold the hinges down, easier than fighting their springs or just work around them.
Blankets or some heavy covering is needed anywhere you will be working on your knees, especially at the rear seat bottom anchors.
The backing on some house carpets can rip paint off so those scraps are not recommended.

Thanks guys for the responses. I keep thinking about having it done, since as stated above it is a huge focal point of the vehicle. Also all I have is a frame so I have no true reference to go from. Does anyone know how much a decent install on a top is? Anyone in the Indiana area that has a suggested shop?
Thanks again

The problem is if you screw it up, you will either live with it or pay someone to put another new top on.
If you want a nice tight wrinkle free top, have a pro that knows older cars do it.
Had a top put on my 67 Coronet and they did a crappy job and wouldn't fix it, the car was older than the installer.
On the dart had someone that did a lot of older cars and it looks great
The newer cars are made different for easier top install
IMO it is worth having it installed, it is a major focal point of the car and really a small price to pay

I agree with Wildcat on this one... have seen alot of "bad" installs. I personally like the look of a nice tight fitting convertible top.
Worth the $ to have someone experienced do it... never know what unexpected issues could arise- hopefully they have "been there/done that"
my 2cents

Thanks guys for the responses. I keep thinking about having it done, since as stated above it is a huge focal point of the vehicle. Also all I have is a frame so I have no true reference to go from. Does anyone know how much a decent install on a top is? Anyone in the Indiana area that has a suggested shop?
Thanks again

The guy that installed my top was KENT'S in BEECH GROVE, IN. And the guy that did my interior JIM MATHEWS @ Indy Auto Trim is in NEW PALESTINE, IN.

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND either one, didn't know Jim at the time or he would have done the top too, but Kevin @ Kent's is very good and does excellent work

My top is an EZ TOP out of Greenville, SC (I think) I went with a cloth top for a more custom look.

Send me a PM if you want contact info

-
Back