torque box pics???

-

Jims83cj5

Reaction score
does anyone have some pics of torque boxes in a duster??? I want to make some but am having a tough time finding some pictures

look at the latest issue of mopar action, the brick project, just had some installed while at the paint shop. its an a-body

This guy made his own! He does really good work!!!

135849043.gif

wow,,looks like theres alot more going on in that pic than just a torque box. It all looks to be new steel including the spring hanger. For the fellow who asked what they are,,,they are boxes you weld in to take the twist from the torque out of the body and it makes you body more stiff. Combined with frame conectors they help out the body alot.

Oh Sure.. Gimme more work.. I never heard about a torque box before till I read this thread and I just installed subframe connectors on my 73 Duster. I'm planning a 10pt cage. Do I still need to add those in? How many of you have?

Torque boxes tie the frame in to the rocker panles. If you have frame connectors and you plan on adding a roll bar I would just run some 2X3" square stock from the frame connectors to the rockers amd threw the floor pans. Then you can tie the main hoop in to them.

Jims83cj5 said:
wow,,looks like theres alot more going on in that pic than just a torque box. It all looks to be new steel including the spring hanger. For the fellow who asked what they are,,,they are boxes you weld in to take the twist from the torque out of the body and it makes you body more stiff. Combined with frame conectors they help out the body alot.
those springs have been moved into the frame rails for more tire clearence, mopar perf used to sell a kit for this

thanks for the web site Adam,, I'm guessing that those are welded on the back side of the torsion mount to the mount and the rocker panel??? and the rear ones go,,,,,,,lol thats kinda why I wanted the pics. I understand the need for them and I can weld pretty good but I would like to copy someone else rather then design my own.

I believe Mopar Muscle Magazine had a tech article last year and installed them on an E body. The photos were good and should give you a good idea whats up.
Check out the tech article section on their website. Toolmanmike.

Eric_S68 said:
Oh Sure.. Gimme more work.. I never heard about a torque box before till I read this thread and I just installed subframe connectors on my 73 Duster. I'm planning a 10pt cage. Do I still need to add those in? How many of you have?

If you are going with a cage, torque box's would be totaly unecesary and just added weight. They help vehicles that dont have cages or roll bars.

I looked through them all ,I think,Mike but I couldn't find any picks of torque boxes but thanks for the info I never knew you could look at old tech articles on the web site. And nope no roll bar for me.

krabysniper said:
If you are going with a cage, torque box's would be totaly unecesary and just added weight. They help vehicles that dont have cages or roll bars.

Thanks Krabysniper, ya probably saved me a bunch of work :thumblef:

MikeD said:
I dont know what other cars come with them but my Dart has got them from the factory.
Mike

Care to back that up with high resolution multi angle pictures to prove it?!?! :evil2:

The REAR torque boxes are typically found on '63-'69 A body convertibles and most stick application V-8 cars above 273 cubes.
You do know that there are FRONT torque boxes on A bodies, as well?
They seem to come about in '67, but I've seen them most in '69-'72 stick performance cars and convertibles.

Even some 318 3 speed cars have them.

I all truth, with a good set of sub-connectors and a cage, they are totally unneccessary, therefore not worth making and welding in.

Mark.

I can take pics if you wish, i'm pretty sure mine has the front ones as well and as Mark says, they are on stick cars and converts.
My car is a 69 GTS and it did have a 4 speed. I cut some of the front boxes out for my fenderwell headers but i've now got TTI'S, so i may re metal them in the future.
Mike

SGCR160406-(19).jpg

G,day to all,
this is my first posting on this site. I live in Australia and own two valiant utes, a 5/1972 VH 245 hemi engine, 3 speed coloum shift, disc brakes non boosted 65,000 miles on the clock. The one I drive every day is a 5/1973 VJ valiant ute 245 hemi, auto, fitted out with cm valiant Regal interior and badges.
These Torque boxes you guys are talking about have been fitted to our Valiants front and rear over here since 1972 when the VH model was released it was a all new body shape built on the A body frame. The only early model Valiant I have seen them on from the factory is on our utes VE -VF front only 1967-1970. I can tell you all that they do make a difference in body strength as the later Valiants come off better in accidents than the older ones aspacialy in front end hit the cabin space is maintained better.
So I think you are on the right track you can't go wrong.
PS I would love a 426 hemi for the ute.Quick A body pickup!!!

My 66 Valiant Convertible has them. Wish they came factory with frame connectors. Actually looks like it will be a little more tricky to attach the frame connectors in the rear section since the torque box butts right up against the frame rail. Will send Pic if I get a chance

Here are a couple of pictures from my 66 Valiant convertible with factory torque boxes. Will have to re-route the e-brake cable on the passenger side when placing 2X3 frame connectors.

torque box front.jpg

torque box rear.jpg

I finally finished them and they are posted in the members projects section,, thx fer the help

-
Back