Torque boxes, subframe connectors needed?

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, plans for my Duster have changed a bit over the past few weeks and now I'm going with a built 360 and A904 setup instead of rebuilt 318 and 4-speed swap. I plan to use RHS heads, 10.25:1 comp, current Voodoo cam (60401) from my 318, 1.6:1 rockers, yada yada and I hope to make at least 350 HP. I'm setting up the car for road racing and highway driving with either 2.94 or 3.21 SG 8 1/4" rear and ~7" wide wheels/tires. My main question is will I need torque boxes and/or subframe connectors to beef up the chassis and handle the torque? The car is originally a 318-2V '70 Duster so I'm guessing there aren't any torque boxes already installed from the factory. If I do need them can I get just one or the other (preferably whichever is cheaper)? And do the weld-in subframe connectors, say from ART weld to the entire floor or what?

Sub frame connectors are always a good idea. I would also weld plates to the bottom of the lower control arms to stiffen them.

Subframe connectors before torque boxes (yes, they should be welded the entire length). But if you are stripping out the interior to weld in the connectors, you might as well install torque boxes at the same time. I'd bet you'll want the torque boxes eventually, and you'll have to strip out the entire interior again if you wait to do it down the road.

Stiffener plates on the bottom of the lower control arms won't help chassis stiffness, but they sure will help eliminate flex in your steering.

Subframe connectors before torque boxes (yes, they should be welded the entire length). But if you are stripping out the interior to weld in the connectors, you might as well install torque boxes at the same time. I'd bet you'll want the torque boxes eventually, and you'll have to strip out the entire interior again if you wait to do it down the road.

Stiffener plates on the bottom of the lower control arms won't help chassis stiffness, but they sure will help eliminate flex in your steering.
will they help when the front end slams down after a 2 wheel launch at the track? will the stockers taco in my use?

Looks like it's the connectors then. Probably gonna go with the simpler straight weld-in ones from Auto Rust Technicians.

I just received a pair of subframe connectors from US Car Tool (www.uscartool.com) for $169 for a set of two. They are laser-cut pieces of art. They fit to the floor pans to also stiffen the unibody. John Paseman, the owner, is a wealth of information on chassis stiffening. He actually did torsional testing on Mopar bodies with various types of frame stiffeners and has spoken to many racers about the subject. There are a number of other areas on the cars to run complete weld beads.

From an engineering stand-point, you can't beat his product.

-
Back