Torque Converter Bolts

-

69Chrgr

Charger/Cuda
Reaction score
Bought an SFI flex plate and torque converter bolt kit from Indy. The torque converter bolts are too big for my converter. Do I need another converter?

Thanks,
Darren

if I'm not mistaken,you've bought a 7/16" bolt set and you have a 1/2" convertor.You should be able to return for exchange

I got a friend who rebuilds transmissions for folks who do their own R&R. He orders the reman'd converter to go with. Warns EVERY mopar owner to check and grind to fit those bolts as flex plate thickness varied . Too long a bolt = too deep a dimple in the converter = killed converter internally. My personal experience is the bolts were a little concave on the ends. I grinded/ (ground ?) them off flat then rounded a tad for start thread. Anything beyond a full nut is wasted anyway.

need to match flex plate to converter you dont want small bolts going thru large flexplate holes because they may work loose and rip plate

Basically, if you have stock torque converter you need a stock flexplate with holes sized for the stock 5/16" diameter bolts.

If you have an aftermarket, high performance torque converter then you need to replace the flexplate with an SFI one that has holes for 7/16" diameter bolts.

Other wise you could have problems like the bolts coming loose or cracking flex plate, etc??

GoodysGotaCuda mentioned a torque converter in the best/worst mod thread . Ask him :)

-
Back