torque converter builders

-
The only draw back to a custom converter is if you like to try different things, such as different cams, gears, and tires, then the custom converter looses it's value. If you do NOT plan on any changes, then the custom converter is a good thing. But if you occasionally like to try a different cam, gears, or a different set of wheels/tires, then you will be buying custom converters for every change to get the "full advantage" of the custom converters.

the dyno sheet I have starts at 2892 RPM, at which point there is already 441.8 lb-ft of torque, but only 243.3 HP

Yes, the stroker has more torque, so that will affect the converter. Call PTC and talk to Kenny. He'll help you understand more clearly.

My guess would be a 9 1/2 inch that stalls around 3200, but that's a guess.

first call I made today was to TCS
they suggested their off the shelf unit, an 11 inch pro street unit
2400 flash stall, $445.00 plus about $80.00 shipping

Ty this link and builder (TCS) http://www.tcsproducts.com/

X2. Call them on their 800 number and ask for Paul. Paul at one time owned a high performance engine shop and was a crew chief on a pro mod car. He knows his performance stuff. The owner runs a BA/A Pontiac with a Pro-Stock motor mated to a 904. A no BS company and are one of the very few that have warranties on all converters.
As others have said, don't let price be your guide to buying a converter, as you only get what you pay for.

There is no comparision to a 10 and 11 inch converter.The car will run ALOT better with the 10.I changed to 11 at the end of this year, killed the performance.Going back to the ptc 10 inch converter this winter.Talk to kenny at ptc,really good guy to work with

I'm a TCS buyer as well , they helped coach me
through my 904 build and builtme a 10inch for my combo , another nice thing about them is if youaren't happy or change your combo they offer a free re-stall as well.

first call I made today was to TCS
they suggested their off the shelf unit, an 11 inch pro street unit
2400 flash stall, $445.00 plus about $80.00 shipping

Second call was to PTC
They suggest a custom build 9.5 inch unit that stalls at 3200
They said the parts umber ends in 200 meaning it is tighter then most?
$475.00 plus some 30 odd bucks shipping

I don't know what YOUR duster weighs, but I had my white 70 duster on the scales yesterday. It is all steel, full bench seat column shift, nothing removed, has heat wipers ect. Engine is a 410 with edelbrock heads, manual steering, BBP disk brakes, 727 and a 8 3/4 with BBP axles, and weld draglite wheels. It was 3080 with 5 gallons of gas and no driver. And NO to the 11 inch convertor! NO NO NO

I don't know what YOUR duster weighs, but I had my white 70 duster on the scales yesterday. It is all steel, full bench seat column shift, nothing removed, has heat wipers ect. Engine is a 410 with edelbrock heads, manual steering, BBP disk brakes, 727 and a 8 3/4 with BBP axles, and weld draglite wheels. It was 3080 with 5 gallons of gas and no driver. And NO to the 11 inch convertor! NO NO NO

I told them mine weighs 3300, which someone here suggested
Close to the same setup as yours, but small bolt drums ,stock rallye and A C

Second call was to PTC
They suggest a custom build 9.5 inch unit that stalls at 3200
They said the parts umber ends in 200 meaning it is tighter then most?
$475.00 plus some 30 odd bucks shipping

I had a 9.5" dfrom dynamic. It was freaking awesome. Felt like you were being shot out of a cannon at launch. Then on the street it felt like a stock converter.

allright guys
I ordered the PTC 9.5 convertor

should be here in a week or two

I sure hope so
one thing that really impressed me about them (other than the 3700 questions they asked about the car) was their offer to "rework" the converter if it does not fit my needs
(I would still pay shipping, but that's not bad)

Keep us informed on how well it works,pro's or con's.

I had Dynamic build a 9 1/2 converter for my 408 and it was just way too loose. Thing flashed to 4200 rpm. It was real smooth around town but seemed too loose on the highway. I converted both my cars to Martin Saine custom converters. Very very impressed ...just feels like I'm always in the sweet spot. By the way his converters look like artwork and they are way more stout then the Dynamic. Sorry no pics.

It's what is done INTERNALLY to a converter that makes it or not. A nice paint job means very little, other than eye appeal. Also, never BS whomever you choose for your custom built converter or you'll never be happy. Custom built converters are built to the specs and information you give your converter supplier. All the name converter builders do their very best to give you what you need.

-
Back