Torque Converter Identification

-

tenfive0

Reaction score
Doing a budget fix on a 1968 Valiant more door / crew cab. Bought the car cheap because the two previous owners couldn't figure out how to get the car / engine running correctly. They gave up on the car after spending more money then what it's worth. It's not a beauty contest and I took a chance. So far most of the mechanical issues have been worked out. Spent time but not too much money. The car was originally with a \6, 904, 7-1/4 rear. I bought it with a 318, 727, 8-3/4 rear with disc brakes up front.

Right stuff but the wrong platform. I would rather it be a two door sedan post Valiant but the parts alone were well worth the money invested. The owner before the owner I bought the car from put some kind of a ridiculously stupid big daddy, mutha thumper cam in the engine with out degreeing it correctly. That is how I bought the car because the second owner to the first couldn't figure out either how or what was wrong. The cam timing was the worst of the issues and why the car was abandoned by both previous owners. Along the way towards getting the car road worth I had to fix a few other neglected problems that were unnoticeable until the cam timing was corrected.

I'm sticking with the personal mantra as an affirmation to motivate and inspire my budget minded inner cheapness. So far the Valiant has gotten to the point were its at with collected, surplus parts off other vehicles. The cam in the 318 is "ridiculously stupid". The Valiant with the current cam is a two foot driver, pop it in neutral at a stop light car. I've chosen not to change the cam because there isn't a sensible small block used cam available from inventory.

However, I found an 11" Torque Converter that's been hiding for YEARS marked (with a silver Sharpie) 727 - 2600 stall. I have no idea what brand or make the convert is or if the Sharpie markings are correct.

First, there is a stamped X in a circle on the back of the converter. I have no idea if that is the makers mark. I know its a long shot but might someone be familiar with such a mark or who the maker might be? There are other stampings but I figure the first step towards identifying what the converter is might be figuring out who made it.View attachment 1715532553

After doing further research I figured out the Torque Converter is a TCI 141200 Breakaway.
20200519_125151.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back