Torque converter recommendations

-

zigs

Reaction score
Need to upgrade my torgue converter. Right now I have Hughes 2000 stall that was behind my 354 Hemi , it did OK but now that I have the 471 its not keeping up.
Heres the engine info . 471 internally balanced, crank is SCAT-4340 SS, CAM is Hughes .540/547 about 550+ HP , 373 gears but going to 323's. I'm not racing but would like to be able to spin the wheels but don't want to have to put both feet on the brake at a stop light. A good all around TC that has some bite when I need it.

If you need both feet on the brake pedal at the stop light I would suspect there is something wrong in your tune......likely not enough initial advance.

As was asked, do you want a looser converter? Best bet is to contact a reputable converter builder (dont buy an off the shelf one), tell them exactly what you want and expect to pay 800 to 1200.

If you need both feet on the brake pedal at the stop light I would suspect there is something wrong in your tune......likely not enough initial advance.

As was asked, do you want a looser converter? Best bet is to contact a reputable converter builder (dont buy an off the shelf one), tell them exactly what you want and expect to pay 800 to 1200.

Engine runs good , not transferring power. I have a couple places I will call.

Give Lenny at Ultimate Converter a call he's the best out there..will build you exactely what you need and it'll do exactely what he says..

550+ horsepower and 373 gears..... and it's sluggish? You'd like to be able to spin your tires? Good Lord, what kind of tires are you trying to spin??

are you saying the current converter is stalling at a higher RPM now.

Yes , I can punch it and you would think with that kind of horse power it should burn the tires , even power braking dosen't work.
Could it be TC is bad? Only has about
300 miles on it.

when you nail it, what is the rpm before it moves.

550+ horsepower and 373 gears..... and it's sluggish? You'd like to be able to spin your tires? Good Lord, what kind of tires are you trying to spin??
Must be hot funny car tires, no doubt!

-----------------------------------------Must be hot funny car tires, no doubt!
I have a hughs 35-3800 in my 505" 68 barracuda. It feels looser than that, Id bet it`ll go 4000 easy. It was built as a street n strip car, and I really have no problems w/ it on the street, altho I think it could be a hair tighter. The only time I have got on it during the break in , it turned side ways.

-
Back