Torque converter "spring" effect?

-

DadGum_Teen

Reaction score
How long does it take for torque converters to actually start the "rebound" in their "spring effect". I am running a stock 727 TQ (forgot stall speed, but it's low) on a street 360. I am asking this because If I drop from 3rd to 2nd while cruising and get on the gas, it takes about a second and a half or so before the car actually starts gaining speed/pulling strongly (at around 2500-3000rpm). This predicament has lost me a very short race between me and my neighbor. We took off for only like 2 seconds, and he stayed ahead in his little kia SUV haha. Now he gets to poke fun with that.

If I drop it from 2nd to 1st, it pulls away pretty much instantly, due to the low gear and higher rpm, obviously. Which I would love it to do from 3rd to 2nd.

But here's the real question, how do different designs of torque converters act in these situations? Do more expensive performance torque converters allow a faster "spool up"? But at the cost of less low end multiplication? How does this all come into play? And I don't have the money right now for a new torque converter, so don't go crazy about throwing out where I can find a good price.

It should be instantaneous and by your description it's not the converter that's your problem because you say if you drop it to first gear it's takes right off. If it were the converter it'd do the same dropping it to first gear. Sounds like it's either just lazy downshifting from 3rd to 2nd and/or the engine doesn't have enough torque to accelerate in higher gears quickly. It's also possible that the carb could be opening to quickly causing a bog that it has to overcome. I recently installed a new Holley 750 on my Cuda and the spring in the secondaries was too light and it did the same thing. I put in a heavier spring and it hammers down now.

-
Back