torque converter

-

Joe334

Reaction score
Hey guys, im getting ready to rebuild my transmission ('79 727) and i need some guidance. I have a couple questions about the torque converter, what diameter do i need to go with? Dont the smaller diameters work a little better? Also, what stall rpm should i go with? My cam rpm range is 1k-5k, so should i get it somewhere inbetween that ( i was thinking in somewhere around the 1500 range, but not sure)? I am building this for a daily driver, but its also be able to rip it when i get on the gas. I rebuilt a 318 to hook up to the 727, we bored it .040 over and put a mild cam in it, it has an edelbrock performer intake and a holley 670 cfm carb. One more question, my transmission is a long shaft, and someone told me that the short shaft tranny's shift 3x harder, but i dont think that is true, just wanted some confirmation on that.

Joe

Big factor for deciding on a converter is your budget. I run a $650 9 1/2" Dynamic in my daily driver. Footbrakes to 3,500, flashes at 3,900 when i nail it and drives like a little hotter than stock converter when im not 'in it'. worth every penny..

We'll also need your rear end ratio. I'd say in the 2,500stall range..you can probably go up to 3,000 or so without losing drivability/excessive heat if you went with a quality name brand converter and not just something off the shelf. A lot depends on the gear ratio, build, intended use and budget for selecting a converter.

i've never heard of a 'short shaft' trans, and/or one that shifts harder than the other. My 904 barks the 2-3 shift with a TransGo kit :D

just my 2cents.

Well im getting ready to buy an 8 3/4 rear end, and am planning on going with 3.55. a $650 converter is a little out of my price range, im still in high school and only work 3-4 a week after school, so my budget is kind of slim, i dont want to have to pay over $250-300 for one because there is still a ton of other stuff i have to buy. its going to be a daily driver so i need it to be pretty dependable in town and on the highway, but i still wanna be able to roast 'em if the situation calls for it, lol.

Joe334 said:
Well im getting ready to buy an 8 3/4 rear end, and am planning on going with 3.55. a $650 converter is a little out of my price range, im still in high school and only work 3-4 a week after school, so my budget is kind of slim, i dont want to have to pay over $250-300 for one because there is still a ton of other stuff i have to buy. its going to be a daily driver so i need it to be pretty dependable in town and on the highway, but i still wanna be able to roast 'em if the situation calls for it, lol.

Awe come on now, I'm barely turning 19 lol, you can afford it. J/k Too bad you dont have a 904, i have a converter that stalled at 3k in front of 2.76s and 2,500 with 3.91. Little too low for my liking, but I would donate it if you didnt have a 727 :wack: Have a look into 'Edge' converters, a friend of mine runs one. They tweak them to your combo, he is VERY happy with it. I went with Dynamic which was almost twice the cost, but my friend seems plenty happy with his Edge. I think it was around 300-350 however. Just stay away from B&M and all that stuff in my opinion.

Since your building this for a street driven vehicle not a race vehicle a 2000-2200 stall is plenty for a engine that only winds to 5000. Yes the more stall you have the more torque multiplication it makes but at the same time you loose drivability. No matter what converter you decide to go with install a good trans. cooler. Also I know firsthand all about low budgets coming into play so for that reason I'd also talk to Hughes Performance in addition to the one Mike mentioned. It's always good to get more than one opinion. I've used Hughes torque converters and they seem to be decent for low budget stuff that isn't a race application. There are deffinetly better converters out there like the Turbo Action ones Mike mentioned but not everyone has $600 to drop on a converter.

And as far as a short and long version trans shifting better. Whoever said that has been smoking something. That's just plain hogwash. Theres no such thing as any different length 727 torqueflites used in cars. There all the same length.

-
Back