torque convertor questions

-

71blueduster

Reaction score
The transmission shop that I'm getting my 727 rebuilt at recommended either a 2000 or 2200 stall convertor. I was told and saw on another board that the 340s used the factory high stall convertor which was rated at 2450 rpm. Now this would be along the lines of the 175K convertor from Mopar which is rated from 2400-2500 rpm correct?

My car will be mostly street driven and I will take it to the track every once in a while but just mostly driven on the street to have some fun with. My build is as follows: XE268 cam, Torker 340, Eddy 750 carb, headers, 10.5 compression pistons, x heads with a little work done to them, 3.91s in a 8-1/4 sure grip, 27 inch tall street tires.

Would the Mopar 175K be a good choice? OR should I go with one of the convertors my transmisson guy recommended?

I've got an 11" that stalls 2200-2500 RPM behind my 360. It'll be coming out soon and will be going up for sale... Do you have one already or are you looking for one?

Mopower71 said:
Figure it should stall around 3500 or so?

3500-3800-4000, somewhere in that range.

Well I'm now probably going to end up getting the Mopar 175k convertor. I don't want a convertor that has a lower than stock stall. Plus I'll save a few bucks on the mopar unit over the one the tranny shop recommended.

I'm not sure of the company. But they recommended a 2000 stall or said I could go bigger and get a 2200. The price was around $300 bucks for the convertor.

mikelbeck said:
I've got an 11" that stalls 2200-2500 RPM behind my 360. It'll be coming out soon and will be going up for sale... Do you have one already or are you looking for one?

Not interested in this one? Much cheaper than $300...

If they use Dayco I would tell them to keep it. If they use Pro-torue they are pretty good. I think the M.P. piece is your best bet.

AdamR said:
If they use Dayco I would tell them to keep it. If they use Pro-torue they are pretty good. I think the M.P. piece is your best bet.

Pro-Torqe is local to me, and I've heard lots of good stuff about them.

mikelbeck said:
Pro-Torqe is local to me, and I've heard lots of good stuff about them.

Yup there in Bohemia. My friend used acouple of converters from them. Also the guy that built my last 727 uses them.

mikelbeck said:
mikelbeck said:

Not interested in this one? Much cheaper than $300...

No. But thanks for the offer. I'm just going to get the Mopar 175k. It should give me enough stall to get a good et. I should be pushing close to 400 hp and 400 lb-ft so I'm hoping I can get into the low 13s on 295-50r15 indy firehawk tires. I might eventually get some drag radials so I can hook up.

One last question. With the 175K I should probably run a good tranny cooler right? Since I will be doing mostly street driving with this car.

71blueduster said:
One last question. With the 175K I should probably run a good tranny cooler right? Since I will be doing mostly street driving with this car.

Any time you use a non-stock converter you should run a tranny cooler.

Biggest you can fit... heh.. I just put in a 175 k behind my tunnel rammed 360... and within 200 miles needed a bigger cooler....granted the one I had was small.. but it's added insurance!

Especially for street driving..

-
Back