Torque plates and gen good machine shop

-
NO, he's for real. Even the f plugs can change the shape of the structure of the block.

What’s $300 these days. That’s just a couple trips to McDonalds for a family of four. :BangHead:

Heard that! I took my sons, their family and friends out for tacos and told them just put what they wanted on my tab. There went a torque plate sized bill. LOL

How about temperature. Maybe we should heat the block up to 200 degrees before boring and honing. Let’s get it right.

How about temperature. Maybe we should heat the block up to 200 degrees before boring and honing. Let’s get it right.
Yes, but the honing oil must also be heated, NAPCAR found that out after it 'didn't work' before doing so....how crazy do We want to go?? How much $$$ for that last little bit?...maybe mount it & apply expected torsional loads expected as well......:D

No sorry; I meant did you do honing
for others or if the plate was for your personal use only.
I used to build engines. Then I got my Engineering degree at night. Then Fords and Mopar engines for friends only. When time got scarce and I had more money, Mopar only. In the end I only do my stuff, and I'm retired. How did we do so much when we were younger??

I have to agree. You can go down way down that rabbit hole. I can think of all kinds of stupid crazy stuff. But in the end that very small percentage does not matter to most of us, if the important stuff is right.

I used to build engines. Then I got my Engineering degree at night. Then Fords and Mopar engines for friends only. When time got scarce and I had more money, Mopar only. In the end I only do my stuff, and I'm retired. How did we do so much when we were younger??

When you are old and your body is giving out and it hurts to even walk to the mailbox you gotta love it to keep going. Sometimes I think I could lift 500 pounds easier than that 150 foot walk to the shop. But once I’m there I’m in my happy place

When you are old and your body is giving out and it hurts to even walk to the mailbox you gotta love it to keep going. Sometimes I think I could lift 500 pounds easier than that 150 foot walk to the shop. But once I’m there I’m in my happy place
Yeah, wish I could spend more time in my shop. Backs out right now from digging out and clearing the septic tank line down at the church; but I can still manage to get a bare block into the back of my truck. I just do a little at a time.

I can appreciate that. I could get more done after work that I can now with all day to do it. But the good part is, I’m getting to do the things I want to do instead of what I have to do.

One of the shops I use for machine work sez Mopars don't need tq plates ... that's a Chevy thing because their blocks are about as strong as a beer can.

And he's a Chevy guy...

... that's a Chevy thing because their blocks are about as strong as a beer can.

And he's a Chevy guy...

I used to rebuild a lot of 350's way back in the day. Never would I hone one of them without a torque plate and the mains torqued. They would move all over the place, and not by a small amount.

I can appreciate that. I could get more done after work that I can now with all day to do it. But the good part is, I’m getting to do the things I want to do instead of what I have to do.
What'd you end up going with regarding the machine shop and torque plate?

What'd you end up going with regarding the machine shop and torque plate?
I’m finishing my 360 as is that was already honed without a plate. For my next build which is a 340, I’m going to use either the shops on Columbus, Ohio or the shop in Dandridge TN a member on here told me about, with plate.

-
Back