torque setting please?

-

jjj0923

Reaction score
340 engine - j heads

well my fun with my "refurbished" 340 Blown Duster came to an abrupt halt last Saturday afternoon when I blew a head gasket. The car was a trailer & garage queen for the prior owner and although the engine has nice goodies and is tight with great compression and virtually no leak-down my tire smoking burnouts and high rpms exposed a weak leak.

(see picture)

I was disappointed to find a few of the head bolts came our way too easily when pulling the heads on Saturday which most likely led to the head gasket failure (and subsequent expelling of anti-freeze through the passengers side exhaust pipe (another reason I don't like cross-overs in exhaust systems - because it blends both sides and makes problem isolation more difficult)

In any event - the heads are getting decked today, new Cometic Gaskets are on the way and a stud kit from Summitt too for a stronger setup capable of withstanding blower induced compression ratios.

So - would someone please tell me the torque settings for the heads and intake manifold.

these are J-heads

thanks so much in advance.

j11.jpg

j22.jpg

You just torque them to whatever your bolt manufacture recommends with the corresponding lube. I ran almost all ARP through my motor and go to them for the torque number.
OEM is 95 for the heads and 45 for the intake. But it sounds like your not working with OEM bolts anymore.

The head bolt torque requirements will come with your stud kit. Your intake manifold torque requirement is determined by your intake manifold manufacturer. Usually around 25 ft pounds for a naturally asprirated aluminum intake, but you say you are running a blower. Who is the manufacturer of the blower intake?

Ah yes, Felpro gaskets in a high cylinder pressure application. I had the same thing happen after a running my car two weeks. I have Mr Gasket MLS in it now and have been for 2 1/2 years. The MLS style gaskets may seep water for a little bit, mine did, but after a few heat cycles they sealed up.

Chuck

Good luck with that!!! When you get it done, please post some frustration burnouts and holeshots PLEASE and THANK YOU!

I had a 400M Ford do that to me every time I hit the nitrous button and I was using the Fel-Pro permatorques too. This was in the mid 80's before the advent of readily availible MLS style gaskets. It was truly frustrating.

-
Back