torque wrench?

-

MI_Mopar

Reaction score
looking to buy a decent torque wrench, whats a good capability for it? ex. 20-150lbs.? should i buy a cheap one or go ahead and bite on a decent one that will last a bit?

If you are going to torque your rods, mains and heads........... borrow one. Unless you are going to be doing alot of engine work. DON'T YOU HAVE ANY GEARHEAD BUDDYS?????????

Never buy a cheap torque wrench, its just not worth it. Craftsman are decent, Snap on are better, but the best value between the two is Craftsman.

Measuring torque to tighten a fastener is only a little more accurate than doing it by feel do to the wide variation in friction in the threads. Because of this don't spend a bundle on a torque wrench.

The beam type is inherently the most accurate and consistent over time but is not very convenient to use. The click type is the most convenient to use. I would recommend a click type that goes to 150 ft-lbs and don't spend much over $50 for it.

If you go with the click type just make sure you turn it back down to zero after each use to ensure repeatability from use to use.

I have also heard that the beam type is more accurate (and less expensive) than the break-type torque wrench.

My Husky torque wrench has never let me down in the 4+ years I have had it. I have used it on about 8 motor rebuilds and 4 front end rebuilds thats not counting all the small stuff like intake and head swaps.

Got it at Home Depot for around 60 bucks and if it ever brakes I just bring it back and grab a new one off the shelf with no problem.

I have 4. 2 inch /lb and 2 ft/lb. They all over lap eachother in ranges. I can torque anything from 0 inch/lbs to 180 inch/lbs or 0 ft lbs all the way to 250 ft/lbs. I forget what brands. I think 3 are Mastercraft anyways.

Lubing the bolts helps to reduce the variation bolt to bolt and generally will increase the clamping force but torqueing is still not a very good way to torque a fastener.

Torque to yield bolts that you see being used on heads these days is a very good way to get even and consistent clamping force. Another good way is to measure bolt stretch. You see this method used on rod bolts.

-
Back