Torqueflite governors

-

dustoff440

Reaction score
Could someone help me settle an argument please. I say that the torqueflite trans will shift at a predetermined rpm even WITH a shift kit and that you can only hold it in gear as long as you want with a valve body. Last I rememberd
the Hemi 727 governer was the one set at the highest shift point 5500 rpm, all the others were varied and would shift automatically before 5500???

Yes, they are spring actuated so unless you change the spring rate in the gov it will always shift the same or less depending on throttle input.

,Cliff

Many factor as you mention, VB pressures, governor, and throttle linkage pressure etc.

With a shift kit the RPMs go up in a hurry and many mods can be done, and yes you can bypass a gov too.

But I see many cars my 70 cuda 340 with a stock 727 shifts at 5850 if I let it tev that hi.

Theoretically that's true but in reality a shift kit can affect the shift speed somewhat by increasing line pressure. Some improperly designed kits can have a much more profound affect on it. A well designed kit such as a trans-go kit does not affect the speed at which it shifts, if properly installed.

-
Back