Torquing Intake Manifold

-

danielb927

Reaction score
It's been a while since I posted anything, but I've had some low vacuum at idle problems and I'm thinking I may need to tighten down the intake manifold. The one bolt I could get at was definitely a fair bit away from the proper torque (45 ft-lbs in my Haynes book), my question is how the heck do you get a torque wrench on the rest of the intake bolts, especially the middle ones? For that matter, I can't even seem to get any kind of wrench on them.

Anyone have some experience that can shed some light on this for me? It's a stock 340/360 cast iron intake manifold.

just make them tight by feel, and remember they are not lug nuts.

I thought they were 35? Oh well, You can get a crows foot on the middle ones, but I usually torque the ones I can get a socket on and just use their tightness as a reference for the middle ones. But you have to start with the middle ones too, so torque them in 2-3 stages.

..........just go to 30#...45 will twist off or strip the threads in the head...........i usually use a swivel socket.....3/8 drive.....kim...........

Thanks for the help. I was able to get a box wrench on and tightened them all down. A few I could get a pretty good turn on even with just a box-wrench so it was definitely needed. Engine idles a little better but still sounds like it's missing below 1000 rpm, gonna hook up the vacuum gauge and see if I need to keep looking, plus put in some new plugs since the ones on there now have been through hell.

-
Back