Torsion Bar Adjuster

-

Toluene56

Reaction score
Has anyone had a Torsion Bar adjuster break while driving down the street?

My passenger side just made a wicked pop. Luckily I was basically pulling into my driveway. The threads seem to have stripped out of the block itself, found the bolt on the ground and it is otherwise unharmed.

I assume this isn't common. Any idea's as to why it would randomly fail? I'm thinking it's just old.
19437793_10207459997576959_757045809410632105_n_zps4bj2fsoi.jpg

18839223_10207459997496957_4021216288843129129_n_zpsdlxjvfnb.jpg

Bolt and adjuster are both toast, don't re-use the bolt. All of those extra shiny threads indicate it's not unharmed.

That sort of thing isn't uncommon. I wouldn't say it's normal, but it definitely happens. Rust, wear, and adjusting the bolts with weight on the LCA's can damage the threads and lead to failures like that.

The parts are reproduced, and it should go without saying it's probably time to change the other side too, so buy a pair of adjusters and bolts.

I had one fail at the alignment shop because the guy doing the alignment tried to adjust it with a 1/2" impact with the weight of the car on the tires. Pulled the threads right out of the block.

Yeah, i'm not planning on using them.. I'm going to buy a pair and replace both sides. Don't need that happening the driver side anytime soon.

appreciate the offer, but I already have a set on willcall at Summit.

China Metal!!! you mean there is a difference. LOL. All you have to do is oil it and you wont have a problem, just like putting oil on the alignment cam nuts & bolts before you take it in for an alignment. You cause your own problems.

Hey I didn't set the price. That's what Summit sells. Qa1, made in the USA, $91.97.

PST sells a set as well, they're $79. Not sure where they're made though, maybe pst will chime in. A, B & E Body Torsion Bar Adjusters

yep.. they're pricey.. but they're already installed and now I can make the car s how tomorrow morning. lol

-
Back