Torsion Bar ID Help

-

CudaTime49

Reaction score
Hi Mopar Friends,

Does anyone recognize these torsion bars? I removed them from a '68 Barracuda Formula S I'm restoring.
I have looked through all my manuals, did a lot of "Googling" and searched through the forums, but I'm coming up empty.
I'm the 5th owner of this car so they may be aftermarket or whatever.
The only numbers are on one end as you can see in the photo. The opposite end just has a line down the center.
Am I missing something here? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1004500-9f89ca0b7d724ecd9a627ad0645d0a2e.jpg
1004501-35a169dd2b3b34d33a9ed498a3ccbd15.jpg

Torsion Bar Numbers.jpg

Torsion Bar No Numbers.jpg

There was a number on the opposite ends. At some point they got the crap beaten out of them. Is there a colored paint daub on them, one on the right, two on the left? About a foot from the end.

Search some more. BB bars are like 098 don’t quote me on that as I did not research quickly. I would think these are slanty bars.

If they had blue dobs would seem 340 bars.

Last edited:
My 69 383 bars are stamped 895 left and 894 right, just jumped under and looked, Which line up with the previous posted chart. Those numbers are way different. I see your confusion. Must be either special or not cataloged. Maybe light weight drag bars? One thing for sure is they have a factory logo on them!

the 058 is the date code, 5th month of 68

it looks like a 8 on the one bar that could be 628,629 bars, early part #

right last 3 part # on one end and date code on the other

he could always measure the thickness

Also interesting they have the same number but L and R stamps respectively. My 69 bars do not have the R and L.

right last 3 part # on one end and date code on the other

he could always measure the thickness

Agree. Can’t see the other end of the bars to see if a date code and logo are there.

You can kinda see a 8 and 9 on one of the beat ends. Blue leads me think 340 bars.

Also interesting they have the same number but L and R stamps respectively. My 69 bars do not have the R and L.

Correct R, L, 058 that's why I said date code, and it is a 68 cuda so it fits, measure them and you will see if they are 340 .087" or 383 .089", you are probably right blue paint 340

Correct R, L, 058 that's why I said date code, and it is a 68 cuda so it fits, measure them and you will see if they are 340 .087" or 383 .089", you are probably right blue paint 340

On board, just looked at some notes I kept as I did not take pics at resto but the other end of the bars had 098 With an L and R on them. My build date was a 10/68.

As already stated, date codes. The other end would have the last 3 digits of the part number but yours are smashed beyond recognition. The numbers would never be the same because each car needs a right and a left bar with distinct P/N' s.

For positive ID, just measure the diameters with calipers or a micrometer. Both should be the same diameter, most likely .87.

And for what it's worth, there is no magical 340 bar. Lowly 318 equipped cars used the same T-bars.

As already stated, date codes. The other end would have the last 3 digits of the part number but yours are smashed beyond recognition. The numbers would never be the same because each car needs a right and a left bar with distinct P/N' s.

For positive ID, just measure the diameters with calipers or a micrometer. Both should be the same diameter, most likely .87.

And for what it's worth, there is no magical 340 bar. Lowly 318 equipped cars used the same T-bars.

Thanks to all, the bar measures .87 in diameter and 35 7/8" long. I'm satisfied it's the right bar for my B-Cuda.

Thanks to all for the responses. There is tremendous knowledge and willingness to help on this forum.

-
Back